Q:

Should I be concerned about my son being seated away from other children in his kindergarten class?

"My son is in kindergarten and when I went to volunteer one day, I noticed that he did not sit with the other children.  His desk was away from everybody else's.  Should I be concerned and should I say something to the teacher about this? I don't want him to feel ostracized. I know he can be fresh with the other kids sometimes.  Thank you.  a concerned mom..."

Asked by Natalie after reading the article, "Book Therapy: A Middle School Reading List":
http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Books...
In Topics: School and Academics, Working with my child's teacher(s), Friendships and peer relationships

|

MomSOS

I think your curiosity is very understandable.  Most Moms would want to understand the reason her child is not seated with the other kids. I encourage you to empower yourself with your trust in yourself as a caring parent who has the right to consult with the school when she feels the need.  By all means, talk to the teacher.  You can do this in a very diplomatic way.
You do not have to be belligerent or angry, just curious.  

In addition, you have a responsibility to know what is going on in your son's school life. At this point there is no evidence that he feels ostracized, or that he is seated where he is because he has been fresh; however, your concern is appropriate, and if there is a problem, it is important for you to know about it. Your consult with the teacher may be very timely and helpful.  
I encourage you to talk to the teacher.  Find out what is going on, settle this for yourself, and be able to resolve any problems that exist for your son.

Bette J. Freedson, LICSW, LCSW, CGP
Clinical Social Worker

3
0

Relle
Relle , Student writes:
No

1
1
Anonymous