amjenkins
amjenkins asks:
Q:

I am concerned with my sons behavior, can you help?

OK, for the past 2 1/2 - 3 years, my son, who is 5 now, has had real strange behavior patterns. It has gotten worse throughout the years too.  He makes strange noises, yells out randomly, says words that make no sense, hits himself in the head, and is extremely emotional.  He can't concentrate in school, and I have had to take him out and for the past month I have home schooled him.  He is very disruptive and can't ever sit still, nor can he concentrate.
His behavior has caused kids to call him names and pick on him and have also got him into trouble.  Sometimes he can sit and watch a movie, and sometimes he can't.  He flips out. He will just out of nowhere jump up and shout for no reason.  Is this normal?  I have 5 children all together, and none of my other children do this?  And I have been told by quite a few people to have him checked and tested for different things.  Autism, Aspergers bein on of them.  
He doesn't listen, and is always getting into trouble. I could tell him to stop doing something about 100 times, and he will turn around and do it again without any regard to what I just told him. Even AFTER he gets in trouble (time out, sent to his room or toys taken away from him).
Any suggestions?
In Topics: Special needs, ADHD & attention issues, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

Dear Amjenkins:

Start with your pediatrician. Have him examined and ask for extra time when making the appointment to be sure your concerns are addressed.  While I cannot diagnose him, I would add to the mix Tourette Syndrome remembering that some of these are probably mixed behaviors.  If you show one, you may share another.  All is manageable with correct diagnosis and teaming up with your home, school, and medical home.

Best wishes for you and your son.

expert panelist: pediatricsWayne Yankus, MD, FAAP

2
0
Anonymous