CPowersgo
CPowersgo asks:
Q:

I'm so confused! Is Texas Virtual Academy Southwest and Connections Academy the same or two different online schools?

I have attempted to enroll my student into an online school, but I keep getting emails about enrollment from a different school. I'm very confused. I need to know if Connections Academy (Dallas area) and Texas Virtual Academy Southwest or K-12 University are one in the same or different charter schools?
In Topics: School and Academics, Choosing a school

|
ATX_Mom
ATX_Mom writes:
Texas Virtual Academy Southwest & Texas Connections Academy are two different virtual charter schools.  TXVA uses the K12.com curriculum.  Connections Academy uses their own.  I am currently checking out both of them also.

2
0
jademnm
jademnm writes:
This is our second year with Texas Connections Academy.  In the last 2 years, we have had wonderful curriculum, teachers and success in the program.  The teachers are available immediately to help the students, all you have to do is call or email.  They regularly have live lessons with students each week.  My daughter went from barely passing public school and spending 6+ hours each night studying.  Now she spends about 6 hours a day on school and has carried a straight A average for the entire 2 years. She is in 9th grade and was recently accepted into the Junior Honor's Society. The curriculum is much harder than public school, but she finally understands it thanks to lots of videos and detailed curriculum.  They do appropriately link to great programs like Discovery Channel's educational curriculum, but it is in the lessons exactly where it applies.  I have access to all the learning resources I need to help my daughter succeed, including extra worksheets and answers. We regularly participate in monthly field trips in the Dallas area and have met a lot of other great TCAH families all having similar success. Finally there is a free public school that values teachers and treats parents as a partner for your child's success!  It does take your involvement as a parent, it isn't a babysitter.  It is the best program you can ever put your child in if you want them to actually retain what they learn.

1
0
AmyMcAda
AmyMcAda writes:
They are two different schools, this is our 2nd year year in TCAH (Texas Connections Academy at Houston). Texas Connections Academy at Houston has been a great pleasure in our household.  We have used it for 2 years and have been thrilled with it.  The support the teachers give enables us to be as flexible as we have with traditional homeschooling, yet have the backup of the teacher with the student/learning coach have needed it.  I feel my boys have gotten a good education and when they know something we move on instead of waiting on the class, and when they get stuck, we take our time and do it slowly.  I have a cranky teenager that loves to sleep and do class at his own pace, in traditional public school setting, this killed him to be awake when he wasn't ready.  No, we have a deal worked where he gets his sleep and I get to see GREAT GRADES!   I do not like that they still have to take the TAKS (or whatever they will rename it to be), but it's an obstacle that has to be done since its a public school.  Currently in our Area (Corpus Christi Area) I help coordinate field trips, we have had many fun trips and try to schedule at least 1 a month.  This gives the kids great oppurtunities to see each other face to face.

1
0
HeatherPeterson124
HeatherPete... writes:
The internet has really helped the education system to improve more. Not only that, e learning has also become very famous and very trusted when it comes to providing quality education.

1
0
patsy75
patsy75 writes:
They are different I tried connections academy to enroll my daughter I submitted everything .but they did not accept her because she has an iep and 504 special needs and they told me that they don't have the system for special needs . Does any one know if Texas virtual academy  does ?

0
0