nikkiuae
nikkiuae asks:
Q:

Is there a connection between disposable diapers and autism?

Has anyone heard if there is any correlation to wearing disposable diapers and autisim.  Are there any statistics on children wearing cloth diapers that have autisim?
In Topics: Autism & Aspergers Syndrome

|

No known connection.  Both types of diapers are universally used without the result of autism.  Cloth diapers have been used for over a century and disposables appeared mothers about forty year ago.

1
0

Louiseasl , Child Professional writes:
Hello!

Thank you for asking this important question.  I recently attended a very interesting and intensive conference for children and adults with autism.  There was no mention of this connection that I heard.  Furthermore, in my readings regarding autism, I have read nothing to suggest that disposable diapers and autism are linked.  However, there may be some remote study conducted in another country or not widely known.  You may wish to go to a university library or your local library and have some assistance with running an ERIC search (an educationally/medically based search).  Also, there are forums where you can pose questions to parents and professionals in the field of autism.  I have listed the links below.  Good luck and please let us know what you find out.  Even the professionals on JustAsk can learn from this forum by information posted from the wonderful parents and educators who participate here.  

2
0
mb503
mb503 writes:
You know I was just wondering this myself but from a different angle.   Wondering if the chemicals in the diapers stunt the sperm production the kids, leading them to grow up with inappropriately developed sperm.   Would be interesting to see a study where the parents of children with autism were compared in this regard.   We live in such a chemical world, but that's a spot where chemicals hit pretty close to reproductive health.

0
1
Moonbruck
Moonbruck writes:
I am a licensed mental health counselor specializing in children's issues.  In my own research I have discovered an interesting connection between autism and disposable diapers.  Autism began to skyrocket if you look at the research starting in 1992.  Why that year?  And why has autism increased dramatically ever since?  The companies that produce disposable diapers began a huge push to use their products, many times with deceptive statistics near the end of the 1980's, like 1988, 1989.  You can look this up yourself.  Too many chemicals are never good.

0
0
Diane102310
Diane102310 writes:
I have a graduate degree in psychology and am acutely aware of the skyrocketing rates of autism. One year ago I adopted a baby whose brother has mild autism and so my concern and questions have increased. I have been informally hypothesizing the possible cause of this rise in autism.
Last night the baby woke in the middle of the night and I propped her on the changing table, changed her and gave her a bottle of water. As she drank I became more and more sleepy and rested my head next to her, near her diaper (which was covered by  three layers: her onesie, pajamas and flannel sleeper. Within minutes I was overwhelmed with the inhalation of chemicals. The baby fell asleep and I returned her to her crib and I went to my bed. For at least ten minutes I could taste/smell nothing but the chemicals from the diaper that I inhaled in just a few minutes of close contact. I imagined what my poor baby must have inhaled in her year of life and I immediately realized that this super absorbent diaper could be a potent factor that may be involved in the increase in autism cases. I removed all the diapers from her room and replaced them today with chlorine free diapers, which have a slightly less chemical smell.
If anyone is interested in joining me in pursuing studying this possible correlation, please contact me at Reelty@aol.com and mention diapers and autism in the subject line.
Thank you.
Diane

0
0