Nelmarie
Nelmarie asks:
Q:

How can I get control of 25  3 yrs old children during lessons and centers without loosing control and my voice?

I'm the new teacher on the 3 years old classroom with 25 children screaming, yelling, fighting, and making a mess everywhere.  During circle time it's hard to call their attention and try to keep them quiet.  What strategies can I use to keep control of my class?  HELP!!!!!

MonaLisa
In Topics: School and Academics, Kindergarten readiness

|

Three year olds are experiencing school for the first time. USe positive reinforcement rather than threats or getting angry or frustrated. Patience is essential.

Rather than use your voice by getting louder than the children, have a nonverbal signal: lights flashing, finger over lips to cue silence, put arm up. Reinforce the behavior you want to see as each child quiets down, "I see John is quiet and sitting down. Thank you, John." Keep going until everyone is settled. This will take time at first, but serve as a foundation for the children to understand that they need to be quiet and listen. This may also be connected to a reward such as being first in line, being the leader of the group, etc. You may also want to use a stuffed animal for the person who has permission to talk. Then they learn that the person who holds the stuffed animal may speak; the others listen by looking at the person to understand what they are saying.
0
0

JamielaIsmail
JamielaIsmail , Teacher writes:
I use a little bell to get their attention.  What i have done was to explain to them the need to listen and explain the behaviour that is required for listening.  I give a demonstration of what I have explained.  to further encourage ongoing good behaviour and discipline, i made a chart for everyone and for each time they listened, i put a star onto their page.  If they followed the rules, i reward them with a sweet and the one with the most sweets get to take home a movie for hte weekend.  they became quite competitive and i got the desired result. you can decide how you want to reward them.

1
0