Amanda2012
Amanda2012 asks:
Q:

How can I correct my 8 year old son's bad attitude and talking back?

Everything we say to him he has something to say in retaliation. When we ask him to do something, even as simple as putting his shoes away he argues.  He has been displaying little to no respect for adults, other than his father.  It has become straining to deal with.

|
DarceyTuttle
DarceyTuttle writes:
When you figure this out let me know my eight year old daughter is the same way arghhhhh!

0
0
NC52893
NC52893 writes:
It's a hard age to deal with. Don't worry, it will get better.

Since you mentioned that he respects his father, you might want the two of them to sit down and talk some time. Explain to him that this behaviour is not acceptable. Tell him that if he can't act his age, then he won't be treated his age, even if this means taking away some of his privileges.

One way to deal with this is to make a privilege system. For each behaviour you want to correct put a positive reward for correcting it (ex: putting away shoes= gets to watch TV). If he can't correct his behaviours, he doesn't get the reward. If you have to stand him in a corner. No 8 year old wants to stand in the corner like a 4 year old.

1
0
AlthiaLake
AlthiaLake writes:
I make my 8 yr old write.  I make up a sentence (concerning what he's arguing about)for him to write 10 times. If he tries to argue, I tack on another line.  I works! Not only does it keep him from talking back, it improves his hand writing!

AL

2
0
mirandacrandall
mirandacran... writes:
I've read this book "Love and logic Magic for Early Childhood Practical Parenting from Birth to Six Years" by Jim Fay and Charles Fay, It talks about having discipline with love and teaching your kids how to behave. I know it says 0-6 but I'm sure it'll work for older kids too. I LOVE this book.
One of the lines in the book is "I love you too much to argue". It also suggests "going brain dead"; "First, smile or look at the child with love in your eyes. Second, pause. Hold this pause until your child says 'what?' Children often learn very quickly-if a parent is consistent-that when mom smiles and pauses, arguing isn't going to work". Repeat the "I love you too much to argue" line multiple times if you need to.

I highly recommend this book. It provides examples and how to solve specific problems. Also, CHORES! Making a child work builds their self-esteem when they finish a job and can improve behavior all around.

Search "Love and logic magic" on Amazon and you'll find it for $15.

1
0