gozo
gozo asks:
Q:

Should I or should I not take to court the student who assaulted my son? What things to consider? why yes or why not?

My son was physical assaulted by three guys, mostly one. We made the report to the police and he two of them were arrested. They are out and they will be in probation for two years. I just remember the detective said that he will arrest them and he said that if later I wanted to take them to court it was up to me. Do I need to do that? Why yes or not? My son got hurt bad but thank God all the tests so far came normal. He lost his hearing temporarily from the impact of the punches on his ears, dentist said he had to wait 3 more months to remove his braces because his teeth were a little loose. He had horrible pain in his jaw, teeth, gums, and his neck from the punches and kicks. His head also hurt and had many balls on it. He  could not eat normal food because pain in his teeth but also there were many cuts and wounds inside and outside his mouth. His cornea got scratched too. He felt very scared for many days. It happened two months ago and he is still recovering from it. It affected us all so much. My son never uses violence or got beaten before by anyone. It was a horrible experience. Last week he woke us up in the middle of the night and his nose was bleeding so bad and we took him to the emergency room. His nose never bled before except when he was punched so bad on his nose too and he felt it numbed for three weeks and pain lasted also for about the same time. I will take him to an ENT doctor to be seen. What are the things to consider if I want to take them to court?
In Topics: Physical Health, Bullying and teasing

|

What a terrible exprience, we are truly sorry for the pain your family has faced.  Different states will have different complications in the processing and charging of these sorts of situations.  Please consult a lawyer in your area and ask these good questions.  After getting more answers, consult with your son and see what his opinion is as well so that he can feel like he has some power in this situation as well.

Please take care and remember that you can call the Boys Town National Hotline 24 hours a day at the number below, free of charge to discuss any parenting issue.  We are here to help, you are not alone!

Counselor, NZ

www.parenting.org
1-800-448-3000

4
0

mlynema
mlynema writes:
Yes! contact the police and press charges. I look at it as bullying to the max along with assault and attempted murder. My daughter was assaulted by girls when she got off the school bus because she was  worked out with their boyfriends at the school gym.  The school stated they would solve the problem. Not true. A few days suspension! Because she had damage to her mouth she later had problems with her teeth. They should also be held responsible for all medical bills and pain and suffering. Better to safe than sorry, later.

1
0
ilovecheese
ilovecheese writes:
I believe you should because those kids did a lot of damage to your poor son!!!

1
0
elizabethlute
elizabethlute writes:
id go to a lawyer for a consultation first, but go prepared and organized

1
0
tall-Rhonda
tall-Rhonda writes:
Absolutly!!!!! Take them to court. No one has the right to hit or beat anyone. As a parent, my Daughter was bullied in high school. I had to take her out because the school wouldn't do anything unless someone did something!! The parents of the other students were in denial, I didn't get anywhere with them. She did get her GED. But she had to miss out on High School. Hang in ther and go to court

1
0
janhaywhite
janhaywhite , Teacher writes:
This makes me so mad. Schools should protect our kids from bullying. Yes I believe they should be taken to court. They have to learn not to act out in anger and that there are consequences for their actions. Hire a good lawyer and prosecute as far as you can. It is time that us parents stand up for out children and the parents of these others should be responsible for your medical bills. How old is your son?

1
0
Nicky0125
Nicky0125 writes:
Yes I absolutely would take this to the next step and continue with the court process. Stop them in their tracks. Unfortunately your son was a victim but you can save the next potential victim from these bullies and possibly change there lives too by this experience. Good luck

1
0
JustMe05
JustMe05 writes:
I would press charges!  My son was sucker punched by a punk from behind (while having braces on, of course) and I surely pressed charges.  All this turd got, though, was a 10-day vacation (suspension) and was supposed to send my son an apology letter...which I never received even after repeated phone calls asking where it was.  

Don't let these punks get away with this!!  I do agree, though, that you should speak to your son about it first.  I just hope he would also like to press charges because those other punks need to learn a lesson...the earlier, the better!

1
0
Pegiann
Pegiann writes:
have you taken your son to a child psychologist to learn how to cope with this assault ? What about your self ?
Find a way to impower your son. I did this when my son was bullied at school. Do you really want your son to go to court and face these awful kids ?

1
0
Zandylane
Zandylane writes:
One of the things to consider is the bullies & their friends making it harder on your child. I would not let this stop you from taking the boys to court tho.

1
0
Luvpuppies
Luvpuppies , Student writes:
I think that you should consider asking the boys who punched your son why they hit him and that was there anything your son did to them to result to violence! I hope my answer helped?!?

0
1
tammyloveteachers
tammylovete... writes:
Make Sure They Get Sentenced To Life In Prison So Your Son Does Not Get Hurt Anymore,Or You Could Stay And Homeschool Your Child And Everyday After He Has Been Homeschooled You Should Invite His Friends To Play With Him And Let Him Get Comfortable And Feel Safe Around Some People And Make Sure He Is Taught Well And Loved And Most Of All Safe!.!.!.!

0
0