me34 asks:

can non custodial ex abruptly enroll child in different school 150 miles away ?

Ex of 7 yrs - I have phys custody did not return after wkend parenting and twice lied about bringing child home. Then enrolled him in a school by him. This happened yesterday, child is to begin today. Should I drive with decree and retrieve child??
In Topics: Parenting / Our Family, Divorce Issues
> 60 days ago



Sep 23, 2012
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

If you have custody of your child, then your child lives with you and visits your ex. This means you are in charge of what school the child attends.

It is a tough situation, but - yes- you need to take your divorce decree, notify the local police and have them accompany you to pick up your child.

Also- it looks like you need to get a mediator or attorney involved. This qualifies as kidnapping, although that usually isn't the intent of the other parent.

I wish you the very best.

Kindest Regards,
Shirley Cress Dudley
Executive Director of The Blended and Step Family Resource Center

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely