Bob98
Bob98 asks:
Q:

Cutting my self, how do I stop

Alright, so first, when I think about doing things like drugs or beer, I research it like mad so I'm not tempted; now im 13 years old, I saw my friend who had cut marks all over her arm, later that day, I found myself cutting my arms with my pocket knife after my dads girlfriend pissed me off, so I start to freak out and researching it like mad. I still haven't stop, I don't know how long it's been, 3,4 months, and the worst part is, I get bored of things very quickly, but a night of two ago, I was cutting myself just because I was bored! I jumped in the shower and cryer, I can't stop, I still haven't told anybody, AND I REFUSE TO TELL MY PARENTS! I might be willing to tell my friends, but what do I do to stop!
Member Added on Feb 26, 2012
I don't think my first add on was sent; there are a couple of reasons I cut, first of all my parents are divorced, second its hard for me to make friends because of a disease I have called ADHD which stands for attention deficit hyper active disorder, and also one of the symptoms are depression. Another thing is that I have to take a pill every day which makes me nervous, unsocial, limited sleep, and loss of hunger. Also i can't stand my dads girlfriend, I hate her guts, but yet a have no way of getting away from her, I stay in my room all day long just to avoid her when I'm at my dads, plus my dad refuses to leave her. The two worst things are absolutely unspeakable, please do not even ask for what they are, because I'm even too afraid to say it to myself in my head.
In Topics: Cutting

|

It is great that you are reaching out about this.  Cutting and scratching are very dangerous behaviors that can lead to bigger issues.  We understand that when you are upset or feeling bored that you have turned to use a very negative coping skill.  Instead of cutting, try writing in a journal about what brought you to feel this way, listen to music, engage yourself in a conversation or good game with a family member or friend. Positive coping skills like these can help you stop cutting and help you feel better about processing your feelings and releasing them in a healthier way.
Cutting can be so dangerous and we hope that if you cannot stop, to please talk with a trusted adult about seeking some support or professsional help for this addiction.  
Check out www.yourlifeyourvoice.org for more information on coping skills and journaling.  
We hope you found this information helpful and will try the coping skills mentioned. We are here 24/7 if you would like to talk.  
Naina, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
1
0

Hi Bob,

Thanks so much for reaching out for help. I'm so sorry to hear that your home life is causing you heartache, and reaching out to discuss it with the JustAsk online community is very brave. Realizing that cutting isn't healthy and asking for help is one of the hardest steps to take, so you're on the right track!

First of all, it's VERY important that you find a trusted adult in your life who you can talk to about this. This person might be a school guidance counselor, your dad, a teacher, a principal, a doctor, etc. There are so many people in your life who care about you and will be willing to help. Pick one person, and let them know that you've been cutting, and you need help. If possible, ask this person to bring you to a therapist or psychologist. There are experts who understand and deal these issues every day, and they'll give you the best advice for you to help you stop cutting.

In addition to talking to a therapist, there are number of telephone hotlines available that you can call 24 hours a day to talk to someone about what you're feeling. If you're thinking of hurting yourself, you can call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). If you are being abused or are in danger from being hurt by someone else you can call Child Help 1-800-4-A-CHILD (1-800-422-4453). No matter what though, if you are ever in danger of being hurt (either by yourself or someone else), you need to get help. If it is an emergency, call 911 immediately.  

I'm so proud of you for reaching out to help. The next step is talking to an adult in your life. You can and will get better!

Alex

2
0
Bob98
Bob98 writes:
Alex
I'm sorry for refusing to tell my parents, but they both used to have drinking problems and I didn't want them to start drinking again thinking it was there fault. I don't really have that many adult friends who I can trust, I am supposed to have a sphykaraphist (exuse the spelling arer) but I lost my kaiser insurance and now cant even have that, I'm supposed to have insurance in another month, but I don't know for sure.

0
0