gigi638
gigi638 asks:
Q:

Should my daughter go to 1st grade even though age wise she really belongs in Kindergarten?

MY daughter will be turning 6 on 9/12, she basically missed the cutoff in the public schools to go into 1st grade by 11 days! However, last school year, she was at a private school that did not have the age requirement and so I made the choice of letting her start K before turning 5.  I figured I would play it by ear and worst case scenario if she didn't master the curriculum, she would be going into K again when she went into public school.  So now however,  I have a very tough decision to make because the school is giving me the option of placing in K or 1st.  Overall, she did extremely well in K.  She is at a beginning to mid 1st grade reading level and can add and subtract, tell time, count coins, etc.  In my opinion I know she has the at the very least mastered the K curriculum in K, if not surpassed it.  My issue is more socially because of the age factor.  She is very shy and takes time to warm up, but is NOT immature. She actually is very responsible, mature and just LOVES to learn new things and soaks everything up!  That is why I am scared that she will not be challenged enough in K again and basically waster a year!  I know she will still grow academically in K, but possibly not as much as if she was being exposed to 1st grade curriculum. My school does not have a K gifted placement, this only starts in 1st grade.  Which would be a good option for her the following year if she did K again! What do I do? She will always be the youngest going into 1st!

|