liraki
liraki asks:
Q:

My daughter is in 1st grade and is struggling, what can I do to help her?

My daughter is 6 1/2 and she can't read, do math or complete an assignment on her own. She has been placed in a reading group with 7 hispanic children who don't speak English. She has an IEP for speech because she has a stutter.  They did testing last year and she didn't qualify for services and didn't qualify with this years testing.  I'm wondering if I should take her to see her pediatrician and see if he can order some tests or if I should continue to let school officials do what they think is best? Any suggestions would be appreciated
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

If you are very concerned about your daughter's educational progress please ask for a meeting with the school education / intervention team.  Make all requests formal and in writing.  Your daughter's physician also can request the evaluation process to be commenced by writing a letter.

Then the team and yourself will meet and perhaps the educators will then proceed with a series of possible observations, assessments and program changes.  However, there are no guarantees. I know that testing was conducted last year and your daughter didn't qualify, but that should not stop you from voicing concerns for lack of progress again this year.  If nothing else, it will help bring the team together to discuss her difficulties and your concerns.

To learn more please go to www.nasponline.org and  www.wrightslaw.com

Louise Sattler, Psychologist

1
0

Varshitha
Varshitha writes:
teach her with pictures as she gets entertainment and learns faster.....

0
0
mrs.prodigy143
mrs.prodigy... writes:
get her extra work and ask her plenty of questions and explain the to her

0
0
House*Full*of*Boys
House*Full*... writes:
It may be that your daughter's school is giving her all the help they have funding for, not necessarily what they believe is best or enough for her.  The school system in my state offers more extensive help only in early childhood, prior to first grade.  After that, kids can only get speech therapy and some help with reading, but parents have to fund any additional therapy or tutoring themselves.  In other words, the testing does not open  doors to any more state help than what your daughter is receiving already.  I would talk to her pediatrician and the special education specialist at her school to see if the testing would open doors for any special educational programs/schools in your area or if your best option would be to get her tutoring (there are tutoring centers that don't just help mainstream kids, but have specialists available for kids with learning disabilities/delays, too).  And get her eyes checked!  My first-grader needed glasses for reading, which came as a huge surprise, but he jumped a reading level in a single month after getting them.  Trust your instincts, look into what your options are, and know that you’re not alone – there are lots of us special education parents out there trying to do the best for our kids.

0
0
Sherry*36
Sherry*36 writes:
At our schools if you dont ask for specific test you get basic nothing testing. Trying writing a letter if this wasnt done asking her to have IQ testing speech and language test O.T. and P.T. and ask to have her tested on the AUTISC SPECTRUM DISORDER catagory. In form them that you are aware by law they have 30 days (most states) to complete this testing. Involve your dr. next to you they know the child best and can direct you to additional places for help. One thing to remember NO SCHOOL will do everything best for the child due to funding and YOU ARE YOUR CHILDS ONLY ADDVICATE. Also use the internet to your power. My son has those issue. Google AUTISTIC SPECTRUM DISORDER see if any thing look familiar. If so I wld contact my dr for furthur testing.

0
0