bulbull
bulbull asks:
Q:

My daughter is in 3rd grade, she does not want to study any time. She always wants to play and how can I improve her memorizing power?

My daughter is in 3rd grade. She does not want to study any time. She always wants to play so how can I improve her memorizing power so that she can prepare for exam? Guide me with how to learn all subjects as in India it is memory test not logic test. Guide me, if I scold she cries, if I say I will give you gift or we will watch movie she will study for 5 min then stop. I don't want to pressure her but if she doesn't study, other children in class will make fun of her.
In Topics: School and Academics, Learning issues and special needs, Tests (preparing, taking, anxiety!)

|
Hassanhaji
Hassanhaji writes:
Advise, and tell her the importance of learning.
That is the only thing that you can do for your daughter.

1
0
rmknig
rmknig writes:
I have a similar problem with my 3rd grader and it had occurred to me to post a similar question. I agree children need to understand the importance of what they do and how that will influence her future. My first thoughts for my own child were to make sure she had a suitable area to learn (quiet uninterrupted space and correct equipment and materials). Then thinking about how I could combine the things she loves doing (singing and dancing) with the things she needs to learn e.g. spelling. So I'm thinking of getting her to write songs with the spelling list words and video her singing them, placing each word on a post-it note and sticking them around the house, getting her to dance around the house singing and spelling each word. She loves crafts so also using different pen colors to write each word out. If she has good behavior and puts effort in then she can "earn" a little bit of money each day and when she earns enough we will top it up to give her a treat. I also wish TV was never invented, it can be do distracting and the programs aimed at this age group are frankly garbage with the most disgraceful and disrespectful behavior. I would love to hear other ideas.

1
0
Kittycatkutie
Kittycatkutie writes:
That happens to my little sister when she was in 3rd grade. Here's what I did, I bought a big bag of candy and treats for her. Then every time she wouldn't study, I said "You want this piece of candy, study". She did and I gave her a piece, and she actually got 89/100 score on her final. I hope this helps!

1
0
Janeharlin
Janeharlin writes:
Make it fun for her.  There are tons of games (both online and printable) that should keep her engaged.

0
0
koolma
koolma writes:
I have a similar situation at home. I too have a 3rd grader who'd rather play than study! Though I'm a member on this site, I used to use the printables only in an emergency thinking my child was getting all the help he needed in school. I've just realised that we have so many interesting activities on this site and you could sit down and make it a game of doing the fun memory worksheets or activities with your child. You could even show her some of the worksheets before you hit print. Children love it when you allow them a choice.

Scolding doesn't work much nowadays. You end up getting stressed out yourself! When things get out of hand (at times), I threaten to ground my child...no tv or games for a day and so on! It works for he hates sittting in his room doing absolutely nothing!

You could also conduct mock exams (in a fun filled manner) at home to boost her confidence...and have a reward chart to keep a track of her performance. Don't keep giving gifts for she knows you will give them to her eventually. Let her earn them by accumulating reward points! Allow her to choose her own gift (you could maybe have 3 or 4 choices for her to choose from).

Finally, every child learns differently. She may be a visual learner and needs pictures to remember things. Things will work out. Just stay focused on making learning fun for her.

0
0
Anonymous