xmakananix
xmakananix , Parent asks:
Q:

My Daughter is 4 and is due to start Kindergarten next August,  but is already doing 1st grade Level work, is it possible for her to skip Kindergarten

In Topics: School and Academics, Kindergarten readiness

|

Your child is capable and bright and you want to make sure she is properly placed in school. This decision has many levels to consider- social. emotional, physical, and academic. She may excel academically, but not mature to be with children who are one to two years older. Consult with the administrator or school counselor at your child's school and bring examples of her work. Let me know why you feel first grade is a more appropriate placement and find out the criteria for promotion.

3
0

Best Answer!

Hello!

As a mom of two kids who recently completed Kindergarten, I'd advise against having your daughter skip it - even if she's academically ready to do so.

Academics are an important part of kindergarten but what's much more important is what kindergartners learn about how to be successful in school.  Kindergarten teachers place a lot of emphasis on learning the routine of school, learning how to be responsible for yourself, how to be a good citizen in the classroom, how to develop good homework routines, how to find and make friends, and how to "pace yourself" though a full school day (going to the restroom at the right time, surviving without a nap, etc.)   It's a lot more rigorous than even the most academic of preschools. (Maybe you've read the book "All I really need to know I learned in Kindergarten"?  There's a lot of truth to that!)  

The kindergarten class on the first day of school is a whole different world than the kindergarten class on the last day of school.  When students arrive at first grade, their teachers expect that they've got those skills down pat.  If your daughter went right from a preschool environment to a first grade environment, I think it would be a huge shock for her.  And, you'd be setting her up to be much younger than the rest of her class for the rest of her school career.  Even if she's very mature now, it will eventually catch up with her and she'll likely end up really struggling at some point because she's just not developmentally ready to be where she is.

It's much better for her to feel "ahead" of her peers than "behind" them.  I'd send her to kindergarten and early in the school year start talking to her teacher about your concerns.  I'm sure her teacher will be able to find ways to keep your daughter academically challenged while she's also developing those most important kindergarten skills.  If she's really light years ahead of the other kids they can always have her skip first grade and go right to second, but I definitely wouldn't have her skip kindergarten.

Just my two cents!

3
0

babygurl#1
babygurl#1 writes:
itis possable she is really smart but you as a parent need to keep pushing her and give her her gidence in the way she should go let godhelp and be the head of her life she is still young let her find god you have to lead her to god and ask him the question    god bless and good luck

1
1
mjwbwd
mjwbwd writes:
I am a pre-K / Kindergarten teacher. I agree with Kat_eden. There is much more in kindergarten that just being academically strong. I also agree with the other person who said to talk with your teacher early and tell her where your child is academically. I last year had a 5 year old who learned so quickly that we were soon reading on a end of 1st and beginning 2nd grade level, good in math and could write her ideas down on paper. BUT it is easy to push them and have splinter skills. I nurtured and individualized with this child, but she was still 5 and did 5 year old things. She did not like always doing different things from the others. So I gave her tasks that were like the others but increased her learning by modifying the challenge. She also learned to be a peer helper. Research tells us that we retain 95% of what we learn if we are allowed to teach it to others. It is the teachers responsibility to meet her academic needs. Also, the comment about the first few weeks of school are different than the rest of the school year is so true--- so in fairness - realize that it will take some time to get routines of the classroom established so some of the work she may be given could be not much of a challenge to some students because of the need for classroom expectations and routines to be established. All this to say - out of 26years of teaching - I have had lots of strong learners - several academically gifted learners and fewer truly academically gifted and talented learners - but even though they are intellectually strong they still play and need the social interactions of their peers. Therefore I would not recommend advancement in early grades.  But I also say - to keep frequent contact with the teacher.... I hope your child has a successful and fun year.

2
0
Shawaka
Shawaka writes:
I've actually been told the same about my 5yr old who will be attending Kindergarten in the Fall. She was tested by her Pre-K teacher and results showed that she was at 1st grade level in Pre-K. However they don't practice skip promotions at Pre-K or Kidgrt. level @ her school so she can't skip a grade. But I plan to to partner with her future Kidgrt teacher(as I did with her Pre-K teacher) to ask if she can be given 1st grade work and homework to challenge her.

As for you, find out if grade level testing is offered @ your daughter's school. If skip promotion isn't suggested you may choose to look into other schools that do offer it or just work with her teacher to insure she is challenged with additional 1st grade level assignments.

2
0
xmakananix
xmakananix , Parent writes:
Thank you all! I understand now why it's important to keep her with peers of her own age.  Being ahead is a good thing, but it's best that she be around children of her same maturity level =] I'm even more excited for her to start Kindergarten now!

1
0
Nben
Nben writes:
Some school, will gave the student tests which cover materials sydied in the grade need to be skipt, if a student passes the tests given, the student will skip the grade. ( it depends on scholls)

0
0
ZULEYMA
ZULEYMA writes:
It would be up to the school to assist  that, to see what level she is in.. the teacher will be help to see if she need to skip to first grade. let the school see where she is at and see what happen, remember kinder is not about math or reading, it about learning to get long with other kids her age.. be sociable and also able to learn..

1
0
Marylcooper
Marylcooper writes:
That's up for your school to decide if they want her to test out of her current grade. There are classes offered by gifted students. Inquire.

1
0
heenal
heenal writes:
yes it is a possible for her to skip Kindergarten

0
0