nikkinikk
nikkinikk asks:
Q:

My daughter will be 5 in september and has never been to school. Should I let her go to Kindergarten, if she is behind on certain things will they help?

I have the kindergarten readiness list and she hasn't mastered 5 out of 11 things on the list. like writing her name and knowing her phone number and knowing the difference between lower case and capita letters. will the school help her or should i put her in daycare first. I work with her alot at home I just need some advice. she is a very fast learner.
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|

Hi!
I know what you are going through, because I too struggled with the decision of allowing my son to start.  He turned 5 just days before the cut off which would mean that he would most likely be the "baby" of the class.  My daughter had a wonderful Kindergarten teacher that I trust and respect the opinion of, so I contacted her and explained my feelings.  She was understanding because she too had a son who also had a border birthday and she found it in the best interest of the child not to begin him.  She had told me that she had seen many parents regret starting their child, but had never seen one to regret holding their child for another year.  I decided to keep my son with me for one more year and have not regretted that decision, I have watched him progress and become more independent and feel certain that he will be far better off waiting to the new school year.  

You could contact the Preschool in your district and request the teacher to perform an assessment of your child, then she could offer suggestions of the areas that your child will need help on and you could continue to work with your child at home.  I don't see the need of paying for an expensive daycare service when you know your child best.  Check your local library for story time sessions and you may want to take your daughter to that, they meet once a week and it will give your daughter an opportunity to be in a classroom environment with other children.  

If you decide to keep your child home another year, don't be alarmed of age difference in the classroom, because there probably won't be one, I've noticed that most children are 6 or about to turn 6 in Kindergarten and others are close to turning  7 in my district.  Hope this helps, but remember you know your child best and if you are having doubts then "your gut" is probably right, trust your own instincts.
Best wishes!

1
0