loletgaoat
loletgaoat asks:
Q:

my daughter is already 6 yrs.old and doesn't know how to read yet, escaping when we try to teach her, get angry if we correct her. please help me?

at the begenning we fell confident in that school.later on she's start bringing home a lot of homework, i'm guessing they are doing much in the school. her grades passed but if you ask her what she'll learn, nothing! we start cutting her tv programs, reduce and slowly eliminate toys (non-educational) i guess we start at the wrong foot.I've done and print some research in the Reading rockets, National Institute for literacy, i seldom reading it and along with this letter togethere i hope i can still rescue my poor daughter.appreciate it...thank you
In Topics: Helping my child with reading, School and Academics, Learning issues and special needs

|

It sounds like this has been a very stressful situation for you and your daughter. Have you talked with her teacher about her perceptions of your daughter's troubles? What does she believe is the source of your daughter's difficulties? What has she tried in the classroom to help your daughter? Does she recommend anything that you can do to help your daughter with homework or support her in other enrichment activities?

If your daughter's teacher is at a loss for what is getting in your daughter's way, I recommend that you pursue an evaluation for your daughter. If you feel that your daughter's teacher is out of good ideas, you can request a formal evaluation through the school to better understand her learning strengths and weaknesses. My concern is that she has a learning disability that is prohibiting her from accessing the school curriculum. The first link below includes a sample letter that you can write that would be sent to the principal or special education administrator. If you submit a request in writing, the school must respond with a plan for testing OR a reason for why these will NOT be testing. The second and third links below have information on the special education evaluation. If your daughter is found to have a learning disability, she is legally entitled to resources and modifications in the curriculum to help her do better in school.

Good luck.

Counseling Psychologist
Education.com Expert Panel
4
0

mjohnson
mjohnson writes:
My answer is biased because I am the CEO.  Me and my team spent years researching ways to help kids want to gain a love of lifelong reading while also having fun through creative expression.

The result is ItzaBitza - a game that is great for children who are learning to read.  Its focus in on FUN.  With learning - reading comprehension and creativity.

ItzaBitza might be a way for your child start really enjoying reading through playing.  There is no compromise on the fun.  ItzaBitza is as much fun as any other video game your child might be playing.  We've gotten excellent reviews on Amazon.com and just won the Parents' Choice Gold Medal.

Best,
Margaret, CEO - Sabi

1
0
LDSolutions
LDSolutions , Child Professional writes:
She needs to begin her reading step by step.  First, it is important that she begin with all the consonants.  Do one consonant at a time until they are stable. So if that means you are working on "t" then you work on that skill (even if its for 4 weeks!) before progressing to the next skill.    Then progress with the vowels.  Do one vowel at a time.  Start with this order: a, i, o, u, e. Teach these vowels the same way as you did the consonants.  Do not progress to the next vowel until the previous one is stable.  Then always repeat all previous material.   Remember baby steps.  When you are working through the vowels you can have her read the Bob Book or beginning readers.  She will love reading these at this point because she can do it!

1
0