jgodino
jgodino asks:
Q:

My daughter was assulted at school. What can I do?

My daughter was walking to her bus when another student approached her and punched her in the mouth. The school was informed and the other child said my daughter "bumped" into her so she punched her. My daughter gets a Friday afternoon detention and the other child got a Saturday morning detention. I do not think it is right that my daughter got punished for doing the right thing and walking away. There is a zero tolerance for violence and all she got was a detention for punching a child in the face for no reason. My husband and I are thinking about going to the police, what do you think?
In Topics: School safety (not bullying), Bullying and teasing

|
slvblk
slvblk writes:
Since the school didn't handle it well (the other kid should've been suspended), I would file a police report, it was assault. I have to wonder how the other kid was raised, who teaches their kid that you punch someone for bumping into you? Can you imagine this kid when she grows up and is walking on a crowded street?? Pulling a stunt like that in the real world can get you killed, obviously she has problems, or parents who aren't doing their job.

Anyway, I think that not only going to the police, but reporting the incident to a higher level in the district and to campus security (if the school has it) are also good ideas.

1
0
traci.simmons
traci.simmons writes:
I would definitely go to the police. I am going through a similar situation. Please don't give up. If you don't protect your child and stand up for what's right, who will?  Let me know what happens.

1
0
traci.simmons
traci.simmons writes:
I am so sorry you and you child are going through this. The only way to get the school to do the right thing is to keep fighting them. Do not give up! That is what they want. They do not want to be bothered. Believe me, I have been in a similar situation. my daughter was attacked and put in the hospital and had to undergo surgery because the school did not stop her from being bullied and then assaulted! You call the school board, the police, the newspapers, and TV stations> your child has the right to be safe and feel safe. Don't give up!!

1
0