nakfa
nakfa asks:
Q:

do you think my daughter have Autism? how can school help ?

this afternoon my daughter ( she is 13) she came after one month from the state hospital for one day pass to spend time with us when we were eating in the restaurant she said to me in my ear " mommy I think I have a little beet of autism  since she have depression sign and behavior problem at school and cutting her arms the school have to put in iss a lot.  I start taking her to the doctors and therapists from 2008 when she was 7Th grade , sometimes they said she have ADHD, depression , mood swing she don't have the write diagnose until know  
but she is in the state mental hospital she is taking depression medicine  .
what she said was her IQ is okay but she have connecting with people problem ,   she have social problem , anger behavior all is true and more she don't like  to wear earring , don't like touching hugging, she st udders a lot when she talk . the school don't want to help  last year and this year she was in iss Lot because she scream and angry reaction with some kids they call her name , and for cutting self in the school gym have to be 3 days out school suspend and send for 6 week alternative school for punishment/ not for help/ , now we are on process with the student advocacy . I hope she will get help when she come out from the hospital( I am trying to put her in special ad class in the school)
my question is do you think she can be autism?

In Topics: Special needs, Medical problems

|

Dear Nakfa:

Autistic young people have many things which is why it is called "autism spectrum"  Most don't have normal social contact with people and most don't like being touched or physical affection.  your daughter should see her medical home (pediatrician/clinic/doctor) to have one doctor coordinate all her care.  Some one doctor should be in charge.  If there isn't one, ask her case manager to help you find someone.  then you can have school give her a 504 designation allowing her more time and services.  it sounds from your description that there may be multiple diagnoses.  Speak with her hospital psychiatrist and have a list of questions about your daughter written out before the meeting to be sure all of your questions are answered.  Don't be afraid to ask the doctor to explain it again.

It sounds like you are doing your best. Don't stop.

1
0

Louiseasl , Child Professional writes:
Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

I commend you for trying to get your child and family through this difficult time.  It sounds from your description that your child has a long history of challenges.  I know that you wish to have some definitive answers here, but,  there is no way for a person to determine if your child has autism based on a description versus a face to face encounter with so much history to her situation.

However, it appears that your desire to involve her school is a good one.  Please contact the school district and start the process for special education consideration.  Also, keep a journal or binder/ folder for notes.  There will be much information given to you throughout the process and you will want to keep it organized.  Also, you may wish to bring another adult with you to any school meetings as your support person.

I have added a few websites below for you to peruse.  I wish your family much luck.

1
0
Anonymous