Q:

What should I do if I believe my daughter is being bullied in pre-K?

"My daughter is in Pre-Kindergarden and I believe she is being bullied. I brought it up to her teacher and I seemed to have offended the teacher. She has come home with scratches on her neck and shoulder. She told me about the girl who's hitting her and no one seems to want to do anything about it. I really need help.  She has been depressed and very moody and gets offended if i ask her about what is happening in school. This behavior started one week after we enrolled he in this school. Oh and it's a catholic school. What should I do?? Please any one help."

Asked by Christine after reading the article, "Bullying in Preschool: What Parents Need to Know"...
http://www.education.com/magazine/article/bully...
In Topics: Preschool, My Relationship with my child's school, Bullying and teasing

|

No parent wants to see or hear that their child is being hurt at school.  Since you've seen scratches on your daughters body and she has told you that someone is hitting her, it's time to see some action by the school.  

It's great to hear that you approached the teacher about the situation.  However, since you saw no positive action, it may be time to discuss the issue with the principal.  Have your daughter explain to you exactly how and when she gets hurt by other kids at school.  Write down what she tells you.  Make an appointment with the principal and bring a copy of what your daughter told you with you to the meeting.  Explain to them that you attempted to speak to the teacher about this, but unfortunately you haven't seen any positive changes.  When you meet with the principal be sure to your approach is that of concern and care, rather than accusation and anger.  If you have a positive and open attitude you are more likely to get a positive outcome.

1-800-448-3000

1
1

Hi Christine, In addition to the great information and advice you received from Boys Town National Hotline (above)...

I also want to share with you some free resources on Education.com that could help you in your next steps to address this issue. Click the link below to Education.com's special edition on Bullying. It includes downloaded information you can share with the school, as well as tips and strategies for parents.

Good luck -- I hope you are successful in quickly ending the scratches and other harm your daughter is experiencing.

0
0
Anonymous