sheal
sheal asks:
Q:

How do I get through to my daughter who is cutting?  In her eyes I know nothing.

please somebody my child is cutting herself and it's a big thing with her friends.  I have brought her to talk to someone at the hospital on the crisses team but she just lied to them and she is back to her old habits my main concern is how do i get threw you see in her eyes i know nothing.
In Topics: Cutting

|

I'm so glad you wrote in for help because that says that you are acknowleding that your daughter has a problem and needs help immediately.  That's great that you took her to a crisis team at the hospital.  However, it's not uncommon for a teen to lie about self injury and therefore not get the help they really need.  Don't give up because there are still many things left that you can and should do.  

First, if your daughter is refusing to talk to you about why she's cutting I would take her to a counselor.  Speak with the counselor first and let them know what's going on and include your daughter's history of lying to counselors.  It's very important that you find someone that specializes in teens and if possible someone that has worked extensively with teens that self-injure.  Usually school counselors have local counselors they would feel comfortable referring their students to.  Next, ask your daughter what she cuts with and remove all possible methods from her so it's not an option at home.  Of course it's almost impossible to prevent her from getting something at school, but you are in control of her home environment.  

I know it may be tough, but also ask your daughter if she has had suicidal thoughts.  If she says yes and has a plan you need to take her to your local emergency room immediately to get an evaluation.  

If you need additional resources please feel free to call our hotline at 1-800-448-3000.  You may also want to give your daughter our phone number.  We talk to teens everyday that have a history of cutting.  There's also a great website called To Write Love on Her Arms.  The web address is www.twloha.com.  They are a website dedicated to empower teens and adults to stop cutting.  Check it out.  

You don't have to go through this alone, so please keep reaching out for help.  We hope to hear from you.  

Take Care,
1-800-448-3000.  

0
0

Redwood_City_Mom
Redwood_Cit... writes:
Sheila,

How horrible for you.  I can't imagine how scary and sad it must be to have your daughter keep hurting herself.  Of course taking her to the hospital was the right thing to do...I'm sorry it didn't work well.  You can't give up.  I found this article on education.com that might give you more ideas http://www.education.com/magazine/article/cutting/   Maybe a visit to her pediatrician (who she knows better than the people at the hospital) would make her more comfortable.  Also, getting her involved in ongoing counseling may help.  

In her eyes you may know nothing but in fact, of course, you know best...you're her mom!

Please let us know how you're both doing!

0
0