VandealineLyonsAnderson
VandealineL... asks:
Q:

My daughter diagnosed w/ Aspergers & ADHD(I don't agree with the ADHD). She has an IEP, assistant in her classroom& accomodations; But......

The assistant is a bit catty, and my daughter seems uncomfortble with her! I am very uneasy with this, especially since my daughter has had a bad educational experience.
 She has been in three different schools, two of which due to incompetance on the part of the teachers and administration failed my child miserably!  They didn't recognize that she had a learning development challenge,  nor did they try to help me, to help my daughter.
 She was either neglected, misunderstood or abused which left her depressed and reverted by two grade levels, so I  snatch her out of the first two schools and homeschooled her until I could find the proper school to suit her needs compassionatesly!
 She has improved remarkably due to my dilligence in homeschooling and seeking the proper school environment that matches her needs, my approval and our family values.
However, The discipline policy and the asst. leaves much to be desired. My daughter is naturally social, kind, compassionate and thoughtful. However, she can make impulsive decisions.( we all do!) Her impulsive behavior is supposed to be monitored and be modified by the social worker. Yet, she gets these petty notes sent home repeatedly that she has behaved impulsively. None of the special services staff are a specialists in Autism and I am becoming frustrated at getting all of these notes, when it's in the norm for her. I do speak to her daily about proper decorum and have spoken to the staff to NO avail. What should I do?
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), Learning issues and special needs

|

I am so sorry that you have had a rough educational journey with your daughter. While Education.com cannot give advice or suggestions on a local level, such as with specific circumstances like yours, we can give you websites and other information to help you.

Consider these parent forums to gain more insight and information from perhaps other parents who may have been in a similar situations, such as yours.

http://www.OurJourneyThruAutismcom
http://www.TheCoffeeKlatch.com

To help with social skills you may wish to check out his site:  http://www.Kidlutions.com

0
0

scoutlake3
scoutlake3 writes:
I have had the same issue with my childs school. . . Notes for something that happened that could have prevented with supervision.  My best suggestion is to bring this issue up at a scheduled IEP meeting with all teachers, helpers, and social workers in attendance.  They might need a reminder that your child has certain behaviors that need their attention, not a note sent home.

1
0
soniarosario
soniarosario writes:
I myself know what it is like to deal with a child with special needs. your school needs to know everything about your child. what keeps her calm, what can cause fustration and only u know the answer to that. you need to speak with them on your next iep meeting.once you have worked with all of her teachers and discussed all of this with them and everyone who works with her on a daily basis is awear and understands her needs to the fullest.then together you and the school would be able to work better for her.lots of communication is very important. also keep in mind that after you have your meeting if it is still the same u can go higher up and possibly have a meeting withthe board.always remember you have to be your daughters voice and fight for her because if you dont know one else will. everyone deserves a good education.

1
0
Marylcooper
Marylcooper writes:
Hello how are you? I most certainly agree with you and your expectations for your child's education. Believe me I can relate to what you are going through. My child was three months premature, so her speech and comprension skills is very much delayed. Enough about me. Continue working with your child in a gracious manner as I know you are because you are her mother. She is most comfortable with you because she trusts you. No one will treat your child with the loving care that meets all your expectation. I learned that the hard way. People can be so mean. Push your daughter because they love a challenge. Stimulate that God-given precious mind. I've noticed that constant repetition works very well for my child. Bring all your concerns to God and He will show you the way you must go. God Bless!

0
0