Anonymous
Q:

My daughter's grade 1 teacher is concern about my daughter's academic success, but she's not working with us on this issue.

We had a meeting with my daughter's grade 1 teacher and principle regarding academic differculties.  During the meeting we had 3 choices:  1.  To repeat kindergarten.  2. Have an assessment done on her academic level.  3. Leave her in grade.  They didn't think she's ready for grade 1 she's too immature and academically she's not at a grade 1 level.  Part of these problems are adjusting to the new school.  So I supply the report card from last year and had no response from the teacher, in fact I've emailed her and she avoided the answer and said there is no change.  

My daughter is slow at finishing her work, I told my daughter to ask, if she don't understand ask and her response was the teacher don't like to repeat too many times.  I have asked the teacher what I can do at home to help, send home some work she's having trouble with so I can review with her, her response was keep suporting her at home.  Her answers are very vague, doesn't answer my questions.  I spoked with other moms from different schools and their child brings work they've done home, I haven't seen my daughter's work yet.  

I had a bad feeling of her the first time we've meant, I find her cold, unapproachable, and moody.  My husand told me, don't offend her.  My daughter don't want to go to school.  To be blunt I don't know what to do.

I am thinking of puttting her back to the private school again,she attended last year.  I strongly believe this school is not suitable for her.
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), Helping my child with school work and home work, My Relationship with my child's school

|

Dear Anonymous,

I'm sorry to hear that your daughter is struggling, and you have been unsatisfied with the response from her teacher. I can't make any specific recommendations as to whether your daughter should transfer schools or repeat a grade, but I can give you some information to consider.

First, I think that you should take advantage of the teacher and Principal's offer for an assessment. You have a right to some form of an evaluation to determine if your daughter has any learning disabilities. Your daughter has a right to a Free and Appropriate Education (FAPE), courtesy of the Individuals with Disabilities Act (IDEA). That essentially means that the school is required to try and understand and address your daughter's academic problems, so that she has access to the same education as everyone else. For instance, if she has a learning disability, they would likely provide tutoring and other services to help her manage her work. For more on this, please see the first link below.

As for grade retention and promotion, there are a number of issues to consider as you evaluate your options. First, you should learn all that you can about research examining the short- and long-term effects of grade retention. The National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) has published a position statement (which means that prominent members of the NASP got together, reviewed the evidence, and determined their official "position" on the issue) on grade retention. Overall, the research indicates that students who are held back/retained have worse outcomes academically and emotionally than their peers who were also candidates for retention, but who were promoted. I included two links below for more on this.

I can't say whether your daughter would do best in her current public school or private school, but I do think that it would be worthwhile to pursue the assessment, so you can understand her learning. I would think long and hard about grade retention. The research doesn't really support holding children back.

Let us know if you have any additional questions!

Child Psychologist
4
0

ashita21
ashita21 , Student writes:
u need to talk to ur kid and find out wat exactly the problem is. then you can accordingly help her.
if she was doing fine in the private school, but not in this one, taking her back is a good idea.
However, it may be important to consult a specialist or a child guidance centre, just in case.
finally, it is important you know how your child is doing and u are fine with it, not wat the teacher says, especially if she isnt helping.

2
2
Anonymous