Anonymous
Q:

my daughter hates school work, how do i make it fun and get her to be willing to do the work?

she fights with me every day about doing her work. she is an under-achiever. how do i get her interested in her work?
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school, Homeschooling, Discipline and behavior challenges

|
Mrs.CK
Mrs.CK writes:
This is the perfect time to teach your daughter that there are a lot of things in life that are not fun. Don't try to make the work "fun." Require that she do it, then praise her for her effort. If she refuses to do the work, require her to sit at the table until she does it. You can take priviledges away, too, but do it in a matter-of-fact way, making sure she understands that she is making the choice, it is nothing you are doing to her.  In the beginning, you will have to endure a lot of complaining and you will feel like a horrible parent, but you have to remind yourself of the goal: your daughter completing her work and learning a valuable life lesson. If your daughter is in middle school or high school, let her fail her class. That will be hard, but it is a natural consequence of not doing her work. Her teacher would also be a good source of advice.

2
2
Kenney04
Kenney04 writes:
Children naturally love learning. They are naturally curious creatures.  Make learning fun. You will be surprised at the way they
progress and how much your children will learn in the process!
The first important thing is to find her learning style
(see links)
Once you find the easiest way to help your daughter with her school-work the pressure is lessened because you are now 'speaking her language' and you will be able to see the difference in her attitude towards her school-work.

1
0
CWestley
CWestley writes:
Often kids are reluctant to do school work when there don't feel they are good at it.  Maybe there is a fundamental deficiency that needs to be addressed.  For example, my daughter hated to read and never wanted to pick up a book. One day I made her sit down and read to me.  I soon discovered that, she could understand stories just fine but she had troblem decoding words so she was frustrated.  We put her in an intensive phonics program and now she will read for school and for fun.  Another possibility is that there may be a social issue or interaction with peers that's causing her some distress.

0
0
ASloane700
ASloane700 , Parent, Teacher writes:
By finding out what she's interested in and making that part of her schooling...for example:  I have my children jumping rope and I'll ask them multiplication problems, spelling words etc... Does she like a certain singer...great then have any song in the background and put her questions to the music of her favorite singer.  Kids just need us to be creative and before you know it they're learning!!

0
0
TeacherandParent
TeacherandP... writes:
I dislike doing dishes - how to make that fun? I haven't found a way to make doing dishes fun.
When you look at the assignments your daughter, do they seem like fun assignments? Are they interesting? Unless the teacher intended the assignment to be fun or interesting, it usually isn't and many teachers don't much care if the homework they assign is fun or not.

You can't really make it fun- how to make having surgery fun? Some tasks in life just aren't fun. You roll up your sleeves, remind yourself the weekend is coming, and bite the bullet and get the task done.

But that's a hard lesson for kids and teenagers to learn. That's why some schools limit the amount of homework assigned depending on the grade. Kindergarten does 10 minutes, 1st graders 20 minutes etc.

Homework may take your daughter longer and feel even less fun if she would have an underlying learning difference. Even if not, a child who reads at an average pace or writes at a moderate pace can easily become overwhelmed by homework. Teachers don't give individualized homework - they usually give 'one size fits all' homework whether it really does fit everybody or not.

To make homework less 'unfun', I'd suggest working alongside your daughter. You could do paperwork while she does homework. The common recommendation of sending a child to their room simply does not work for every child. Or you could - for a while- help her with her work. You could read the book she has been assigned to read and the two if you could discuss the book. Math these days is taught differently in every generation but if you're good at math, you can help her with it.

Kids who struggle with homework usually get distracted and the homework takes twice as long. You can help to keep her focused. " give me your math sheet, and I'll put it in your binder while you start your Science."

0
0
Anonymous