lucindapenney
lucindapenney asks:
Q:

What can I do to help my daughter increase her reading her reading score was a 26 when she entered the 4th grade at a new and more advanced school?

It is not just reading its all subjects, her old school doing ok and now she is giving up. Her reading is now a 24 and math she just sits there. What do i do as a parent?

Question asked after reading: http://www.education.com/magazine/article/fourt...
In Topics: School and Academics, Helping my child with reading

|

Hi!
Well, some of this may just be part of the adjustment period, you mentioned that she is in a new school, so it may take a little time to adjust to the new teachers, other students, even the school itself and their way of doing things.  I am not familiar with the scoring system that you are referring to, but I am under the impression that she was performing well in her other school which indicates to me that she is a good student and will adjust and perform well in the new school too.  Be patient, don't discourage her by mentioning that she is not performing as well or blaming the other school.  Allow her time to adjust and continue to encourage her best.  Meanwhile, you could read with her at home, have her read aloud to you, so that you can identify any trouble that she may have sounding out new words or it's relation in text.  Question her about what she has read to practice her comprehension.  Book Adventure is a FREE site, where you can test on books that you've read to earn points and then exchange the points for FREE prizes.  They have age appropriate book lists available to choose from, I've included the link.  Also, work with her on math and any other subject that she may have difficulty with.  Education. com provides many great worksheets.  I've also included other links that you may find interesting to help her with her studies.  Best wishes & Keep learning fun!!!

1
0