mcpotain
mcpotain asks:
Q:

What should I do if my daughter is behind in her Kindergarten class?

We pulled my daughter out of kindergarten today because of the teacher and we are unsure she is ready. She is behind of the rest of the class. We just moved and don't know if its because the new school has different ways of teaching or if she is really behind. We don't know if we should get her into a kindergarten & higher a tutor or we should put her in pre-k and start over in kindergarten the coming year. I don't know how to go about this, i just want to make the best move for my daughter.
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness, School and Academics, Working with tutors

|

It sounds like your child was overwhelmed and frustrated. You offer several excellent alternatives, such as tutoring, or placing her in Pre-K. Children develop at different rates and will have growth spurts in learning.

Your best resource is the school counselor who is an expert of developmental issues and learning. You can discuss your concerns about her learning. The school district can provide diagnostic support when requested by a parent.

2
0

MrsReading
MrsReading , Child Professional, Teacher, Parent writes:
Is the teacher not ready for your child or is your child not ready for THAT teacher? You don't give many details so I will assume the teacher was not ready for your child. It is very frustrating for teachers if they get students towards the end of the year whom are not academically in the same place as the majority of the other students. I know this shouldn't be the case, but it is. There is tremendous pressures on teachers these days that their students meet certain academic standards under their tutelage. Their jobs may even hang on this.

That being said, it sounds as though your daughter has had a lot of changes lately. A move is very stressful for the whole family. Where it is the end of the academic year you may just want to give her this time to learn about her new surroundings. Maybe join a playgroup. This would help both you and your daughter learn about the new culture you have moved to and to make some friends.

1
0
Anonymous