JOSIE0518
JOSIE0518 asks:
Q:

My daughter is missing a lot of school.  What should I do?

HI, I HAVE A 14 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER THAT IS BEING VERY DIFFICULT AT THIS AGE.  SHE DOES NOT LIKE SCHOOL.  SHE IS A FRESHMAN IN HIGH SCHOOL AND HAS MISSED ABOUT 26 DAYS ALREADY.  I NEED TO KNOW WHAT I CAN DO TO HELP HER.
In Topics: Teen issues, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

I think there are some questions you need to ask your daughter first before you decide what to do about the situation. Why does she not like going to school? Is she having physical symptoms? If she is consistently using physical symptoms as an excuse then you should take her to the doctor to get a full physical. In addition, sometimes physical symptoms are a mask for anxiety. Is she struggling academically in her classes, or is she having a tough time getting along with peers? If she simply doesn't like going because she's being lazy, then it's a matter of giving appropriate consequences when she doesn't want to go.

The first thing you need to do is sit down and talk to her in a loving way and simply ask her what's going on. Let her know that she's not in trouble, you simply want to help her not miss as many days in school. If you don't get any answers I would suggest that you take her to a counselor to speak with someone.

Most importantly, your actions need to reflect to your daughter that she doesn't get the option of missing school and that she needs her education I hope this gives you a good start!

0
0

eliad
eliad , Parent writes:
Hello Josie,<br />
My kids are much younger so I don't have first hand experience with your problem.<br />
Coincidentally, there is an article on education.com today, that you'll be interested in reading:<br />
<br />
http://www.education.com/magazine/article/School_Refusal/<br />
<br />
Let us know how things are going and if there is an improvement.<br />

0
0
ronald
ronald writes:
Hello Josie,

I am guessing that your daughter is in middle schools. Many middle schools have counselors. Try getting your daughter and you to go and meet with the school counselor. A second choice is get help from a relative. Some relatives such as Aunt's and Uncles, and even cousins have strong influence on kids. Middle school is a very difficult time for students. You despartely need help from someone else.

0
0