catalina346
catalina346 asks:
Q:

How can I help my daughter overcome her fear of monsters?

my 8 years old daughter who was over her toodler fears redescovered fear, and now resists going anywhere in the house alone.She won't sleep in her bed anymore, and if I place her there after she falls asleep she wakes up in the middle of the night and comes back to our bed. The fear is of monsters ( shouldn't she be over it already?), and I tried to ignore, validate, talk about it, nothing works. I considered the possibility of her just overacting to get attention (not that she needs more) but the fear seems to be very real. Any idea on how to better this situation? Thank you.
In Topics: Anxiety

|
lnet
lnet writes:
I have a boy who just turned 7 years old and seems to have very similar issues.  He won't go anywhere in our small condo unless he can see me.  The second he thinks  I am not nearby he panics and screams.."mom!"  We believe that there were some incidents that happened when he first started exhibiting this panic "I'm scared"  "there are monsters"  behavior.  Stresses can accumulate in a childs life.  Have there been any new changes in your daughter's?  There was an earthquake and 2 other personal events that happened that I believe triggered my son's behavior.  My son is seeing a psychologist and he is getting cognitive behavior therapy.  We just started so hopefully we will start seeing positive results.  I feel bad that my son gets so worked up when I need to go to another room in the house and he panics.  I, too, was thinking that he maybe trying to get attention.  It just doesn't make any sense.  So, I try to keep you posted.

0
0
talula
talula writes:
I have a five year old almost 6 with the same problem.  We moved in with my parents while my husband is going back to school to be  a teacher.  He was like this at our old house as well.  He will not go to the bathroom by himself during the daytime when we are in the other room.  He will make a big fuss and insist that someone comes with him.  He wont go to his room to get dressed unless someone is up there with him.  The crazy thing is that he will play a video game down in the basement by himself??? I don't get that.  He says there is monsters and that's why he will not go anywhere on his own.  I even tried the "monster spray technique" which he thought was cool at first for a day but now it does not work anymore he still says there is monsters.  It is so frustrating especially because I have a one year old and I am not always able to go everywhere with him when he is scared.  So we end up having an arguement.  I don't know what the solution is to this I am trying to be understanding but it is hard sometimes.  Any other suggestions to help him get over this or do I just have to wait it out and follow him everywhere????

0
0
ilovechefwilliam
ilovechefwi... , Teacher, Caregiver writes:
I personally had a stuffed animal that made monsters go away.  I had a stuffed polar bear.  My dad always told me that there was only one thing as strong as him and that was my polar bear.  My polar bear still sits in my bedroom.  Good Luck!

0
0