aprilsdaniel12
aprilsdanie... asks:
Q:

My Daughter was physically assaulted by a 11 year old boy. The school did nothing. Should I press charges?

My daughter was physically assaulted by a boy at her school who has threatened her before to punch her. They were chasing each other playfully to get a note and my daughter tripped over and tri-fold board (since it was Science fair day) the board was sitting between a table, then when she tripped she fell on top of him and he hit the table, he got up and picked her up and threw her about a foot into the corner of a table he then proceeded to try to punch her but the teacher got up and held him back. He then went into another teachers class and went crazy throwing things. There was a class full of witnesses and the assistant principle still believed  the delinquent boy over my strait A student never been to the principle child!
The school has never done anything major except for sending him to the "bad kid school" for a week which he Liked! He has a LONG history of this kind of stuff, which is what is the most annoying part that they don't do anything like they should. My daughter wants to press charges against him but I don't think you can press charges since she is only 11 and so is he. Can I? Should I?

|

This sounds like a very frustrating situation for you. The following are steps that are recommended when you have concerns about any bullying related situation that occurs within the school:

1.  Parents should schedule a meeting with the school administration and share their concerns.

2.  Parents can file a formal written complaint to the school regarding their concerns—this should prompt a formal investigation.

3.  Parents can request that the school provide safety plan/support for their child --who is a "safe person" for them to talk to if they are concerned that something else will happen, how will they insure your daugter's safety?

4.  Parents should ask for a finding on the complaint so everyone is aware of efforts taken to address issue.  

5.  Every district has a superintendent and board of education that make decisions regarding issues that are not resolved; as a result parents should contact them with all unresolved issues.

6.  If you have worked with the schools and feel that there is still no resolution, you can contact your state's Dept of Education.

Along with the steps above, talk to your daughter about how to avoid him in the future to remain safe. Then check in with her on a daily basis to be sure there were no ongoing problems. Hope this helps!

1
0

CampbellsMama
CampbellsMama writes:
YES!!

0
0
melaniemmcbee
melaniemmcbee , Teacher, Parent writes:
Absolutely....you call the DA yourself, and you tell them that you want to prosecute. Now days, just because he's 11 it no excuse.

0
0