jnagmz
jnagmz asks:
Q:

I just found out my daughter is reading way below grade level.  How can I help her?

I recently received my daughters ITBS scores for reading he is in the 3rd grade and found out she was reading at a first grade level I thought that she was doing ok in reading but obviously not should I be worried and how can I help her any suggestions
In Topics: Helping my child with reading

|
lkauffman writes:
I think that it is wonderful that you are reaching out seeking support and guidance.

First, have you talked with her teacher? If not, I recommend that you schedule a meeting to talk with her teacher to discuss your concerns about the testing. Ask her about her perceptions of your daughter's difficulties and her recommendations for what you can do at home (more on that later). If you have talked with her teacher in the past and/or you feel that more needs to be done, you should inquire about an reading assessment for your daughter. The possibility exists that she has a learning difficulty that is prohibiting her from progressing with her reading. You can formally request an assessment (in writing) that the school must respond to if you feel that an assessment is required.

There are a number of things that you can do to support your daughter's progress in reading. At home, you should make every attempt to read with your daughter as often as possible. If you are not already doing it, read to her every other night before she goes to bed. On alternate nights, she can read a short story of her choosing. Finally, model positive reading habits for your daughter. Pick up a book from the library that you have been meaning to read for some time. Show her that reading is an enjoyable activity and one that is important in the household.

For other specific suggestions, please see the following articles:

http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Preventing_Early/

http://www.education.com/magazine/article/Ed_Everyday_Strategies/

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Counseling Psychologist
Education.com Expert

1
0
cute_violetflower
cute_violet... writes:
I had a reading problem when I was in lower grades...I aways found it fun for me to read some before i went to bed out loud (say 2 pages), then my mom would read some out loud to me...maybe this well help your daughter...also make sure to pick something fun, your kid likes to read.

1
0