christine1432002
christine14... asks:
Q:

My daughter is receiving special ed services in the morning and goes to the "regular" class at lunch, she does not like her sped teacher. What to do??

I have a hard time getting my daughter to her sped teachers class for the past couple days . My daughter tells me that she wants to be in her other class because the sped teacher is "mad at her" . So I take her to the "normal" class and they walk her to sped class.... I don't like this , If she doesn't like the sped teacher for some reason what do I do???
Member Added on Sep 29, 2010
help!!!!!!!!
Member Added on Oct 1, 2010
Thank you ! I do appreciate your honesty but its not that easy. Theres only one sped teacher! And im sure they insist that its just my daughter being "spoiled". I do want to try to talk to the other parents and see if they have the same issues, so thats what im trying to do. In the meantime just trying to keep her "excited" about school. Thanks
In Topics: Special education, Special needs

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

It is hard to tell if the teacher in your daughter's morning class is "mad" at her or "challenges her" which could be interpreted as anger.  In order to distinguish what is really occurring you may wish to have unannounced classroom observations.  Also, try to request the school guidance counselor to get more specifics from your child.  Is she "mad" because she yelled or because she had a different behavior. is her voice deeper than the "regular" education teacher, and thus a bit more intimidating.   What exactly are the circumstances? The more information, the better.

If there is indeed a conflict between child and teacher you may need to ask an administrator to intervene.  If your school has alternate classroom/ teacher options this may not be a hard  resolution.   However if there are limited options you may need to reconvene the special education team to share information and hopefully let the teacher know that her current teaching style does not match your child's learning needs.  Document all requests and concerns in order to recall the details of this process.

Louise Sattler, NCSP

1
0

eliad
eliad , Parent writes:
I'm sorry if I'm stating the obvious. but can you talk to someone about changing teacher?

Also try to get to the bottom of it by maybe talking to parents of other kids who study with this teacher. do they experience something similar.

Would you be comfortable mentioning it to this teacher? explain them exactly what's happening.

2
0

Thanks for using JustAsk!

It's great that you're so aware of your daughter's feelings, and also so proactive about improving her special ed experience.

I think it's a good idea to talk to the other parents, in confidence, to see whether or not you are alone. Depending on your response from that, I think it's a good idea to go to the principal. Try keeping a journal of the negative experiences your daughter has with her special ed teacher, so that you're able to point out specific details about why the situation isn't working for her.

Keep up the great job, and good luck!

2
0
Totaltutor
Totaltutor writes:
I feel you need to set up a meeting with the principal and the special education teacher. You need to see if she is in the least restrictive environment.  I answered this question on my radio show at www.blogtalkradio.com/totaltutor.

2
0