tina5
tina5 asks:
Q:

I have a daughter who has had several referrals and detentions in the last few weeks. I have done everything I can.

I have a 6 year old daughter who is in Kindergarten for her second year. She was held back last year do to outburst in class. Know she has went from just out burst to physical aggression. The last two referrals have come from an aide in the class that I went to school with and she did not like me. The last two have been for touching kids on the head to count them and for bumping into another student hard enough that they fell down. I have done everything I can she is in counseling at the local bridge way. The way things are going right know I feel that they are trying to kick my daughter out of the school. What more can be done? It seems as if the school does not want to help her at all. I have tried to talk to the principle and all she does is ignore my phone calls and tell me that we are not going to agree so we will just drop it and it is the way she says. Any suggestions for what my next step should be?
In Topics: Working with school administrators, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

Dealing with behavioral problems in children is never easy, but there is help out there for you!  Talk with your child's regular health care provider and ask for a referral to see a pediatric psychiatrist for an evaluation and treatment.

1
0

counselor2
counselor2 writes:
As a teacher, children are not held over because of outburst it's suppose to be in regard to her academics. Now that she is being physically aggressive you should ask to speak to the social worker or guidance counselor and ask for an evaluation to see if she needs to be placed in a smaller classroom setting. Sometimes as a parent, you try to protect your child from being labelled "special ed" but sometimes in the long run a small classroom setting is what she may need. She's been through kindergarten before and know she is the "older" child so she appears to be much bigger than the other children. Parents are often overwhelmed when they're child is the aggressor and may feel that the entire school staff is against their child. The school is only looking out for what's best for your child as well as the other children. Next time you speak with the principal have a open and willing mind to listen for suggestions which could be tutoring, counseling, homework, rewards and consequences. All behavior is learned and can be adjusted. At 6 years old her behavior can be corrected and redirected. Hope I helped.

1
0