CarenWoon
CarenWoon asks:
Q:

My daughter can't remember the words she learned. What can I do?

In Topics: Helping my child with reading, Learning issues and special needs

|

Hello and thank you for writing to JustAsk,

Perhaps this link will guide you to help for your daughter using fun learning methods!

http://www.education.com/results/?q=memory+games

0
0

rmknig
rmknig writes:
Not sure age and ability of your child but try flash cards, post-it notes with words written in fun ways incorporated as games, fun songs, mnemonics, and other stuff. Doesn't have to cost much either. I've used marker pens and cut up cereal boxes and encouraged her to make her own flash cards with some help. Using bath crayons, I’ve also put the words on bathroom mirrors and had flash cards in the car. For my youngest who is learning words by sight I'm using association. For the word "is" we cut out pieces of card in the shape of the word and stuck glitter on, made the s look like a sparkly snake. And then stuck them to card and said we made it for her friend Isabel (IS..Abel). Lots of association and repetition. As she gets older with spelling some tricky words like laugh - laugh and u get happy. Because big elephants cry and upset small elephants. I just try to link what I need my child to learn with stuff they enjoy and that's likely to leave an impression. They have some and certain rewards like a button or coin and then when the little one gets to 10 buttons or coins she can choose a small treat from my goodie box like a colorful hair bobble, extra time at the park etc., or she can save up to 20 and choose something else like a cute coloring pen. So she associates effort and outcomes with some reward. TES Times Educational Supplement website also has neat ideas, they have a website but there's so much stuff in there sometimes it's tricky finding what you want. Good luck.

2
0