jjhmom
jjhmom asks:
Q:

Can I insist my daughter repeat the 1st grade in Connecticut?

The principal says he has the only and final decision. The teacher has contacted me (off the record) and agrees with me she should be retained. She is 6 years old, will not be 7 till October 2010. She has a DRA of 2-4. The principal wants to send her to 2nd grade with a half-hour special ed a day. She is an average student in all her classes except reading and spelling. Please help. Thanks.
In Topics: School and Academics, Learning issues and special needs, My Relationship with my child's school

|

What criteria is the principal making his recommendation of promoting your daughter to first grade?  There must be something, including your daughter's previous teacher's records.  Also, has she been tested for any type of learning disability?  Why is she being placed in a special ed program for half a day?

I think you need to arrange for another conference before the beginning of the school year (like now) with the principal. I would request the ESE specialist and reading coach also be in attendance.  Go in with fact of why you believe she should be retained in first grade - test scores, worksheets, report cards, etc.  See if you can get any additional information from last years teacher - maybe she will be available to sit in on the meeting.  If you have the time and the money, you may want to look into having your daughter privately tested.  This may shed some light on to what is really going on with your daughter if the school hasn't already done any testing.

Please keep in mind that the research doesn't support retention, but what concerns me is that your daughter is going to be in a special ed program when she might not need it.  Follow your gut instinct, it is usually right.  Good luck!

0
0
Anonymous