Anonymous asks:


My daughter is 14 yrs old and is refusing to go to school.  This has been a problem for the last couple of years with her.  She has gotten bullied in the past and the school refused to address the issue even with all of their "anti-bullying" rules in effect.  

This year the aide that works in her classes refuses to help her.  The aide has even gone as far as covering her ears when my daughter asks for help and tells her that she can't hear her.  My daughter is bipolar with processing issues also.  In our district there are no "special ed classrooms" all of the kids are mainstreamed but assisted with 1 aide for the special ed kids to share. I've made complaints regarding the aide but nothing is getting done to address this issue.  I'm really at a loss right now on how to proceed with this.  I feel like I keep getting the run around from the school.  

She does have an IEP but the school is not the greatest at keeping up on the recommendations and following through. Any suggestions on where to start???
In Topics: Working with school administrators, Learning issues and special needs, Discipline and behavior challenges
> 60 days ago



Boys Town National Hotline
Oct 21, 2011
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

We are sorry to hear your daughter is struggling at school and is not wanting to attend. However, it is the law that she attend school somewhere. You can start to look into alternative forms of schooling for your daughter. Once you start to research this, you may be surprised at the options which may be available. You can begin by looking within your school district. Go to the district superintendent's office for guidance on their possible programs. If they don't have any ideas how to work with your daughter and still seem unwilling to address the issue about the teacher's aide in your daughter's class, then you may need to look at changing schools and/or school districts.

Please keep reaching out and don't give up! All it takes is talking to the right person who will help make changes happen. In the meantime, you can call or e-mail our Hotline for more support. And, we have a website for parents: Your daughter can also call us and we have an excellent, safe website for teens which can provide her extra support:

Take care and best wishes to you and your daughter,

Cynthia, Counselor
Boys Town National Hotline

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely