nathaliag123
nathaliag123 asks:
Q:

Does my daughter may have slight autism or OCD?

My 6 year old daughter seems to be displaying behaviours that are not normal at her age. as much as she is pretty good most of the time, has many friends and besides reading and writing in grade one & is doing great at school. When ever there is a change in schedule or task she seems to either not do it at school or at home has a melt down. She hates seems in socks, has to separate all food on different plates, washes hand too often because of germs and wont eat her food if someone has touched it or sits too close to it. (there are many more little quirky habits) If we leave a friends homes she gets hyperactive and needs to have a go on all toys and outdoor equiptment or she has a meltdown, almost like she gets nervous and has to do it. We usually leave with a big uproar of emotions. If we change a swimming day, the same thing happens and so on. She is now dry at night, but still wets in the day. When she misses out on a muffin (example) she sits in a corner and hides, saying over and over, I want a muffin. Sometimes for an hour. She is most of the time a happy normal child that is active(sometimes too active) extraverted and confident, clever and sweet. Some things just set her of and she is a different child not in control of her emotions. I am thinking of getting her tested as OCD runs in the family. Looking forward to your response. Nat
In Topics: My child's growth and development, Autism & Aspergers Syndrome, Discipline and behavior challenges

|

From your description, it sounds that your daughter's symptoms are more consistent with OCD than with autism.  I think that you should set up an appointment with a psychiatrist for an evaluation and suggestion on how to help her.

Please read these articles:

Understanding autism: http://www.pluggedinparents.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=180&Itemid=0

OCD in children and adolescents: http://www.aacap.org/cs/root/facts_for_families/obsessivecompulsive_disorder_in_children_and_adolescents
2
1

mustang1971
mustang1971 writes:
Both my sons have autism (ages 11 & 7) my youngest also hates socks! When we put his shoes on, he starts complaining of his socks feeling crooked, even though they're not. He is also very aware of germs and will not touch anything that someone else has touched. He was diagnosed with Aspergers when he turned one. He will consistantly repeat himself, even though we have already answered him numerous times. He lines up his cars and his lego's need to be perfectly put together. OCD is actually part of autism/aspergers. my ex-husband however, does have OCD, so I thought that maybe my youngest had it to. my son also acts very nervous around big crowds and will often have a nervous breakdown until we leave. Almost like an anxiety attack. he is actually doing much better since he began 1st grade, and I have seen a huge improvement in him. There are many reliable and educational sources out there, and your daughter as well as yourself can really benefit from them.

1
0
mustang1971
mustang1971 writes:
Many individuals do mistake Autism/Aspergers for other mental health disorders including, OCD, bipolar, and anxiety issues... i took both my children directly to a neurologist. Autism/Aspergers is considered to be a neurological disorder that interferes with the sensory system such as taste ( very picky eaters), smell (sensitive to smell), sound (loud noises), and touch (germs). I tried going to a psychiatrist once I found out my oldest had Autism, only to realize he was not experienced with treating this disorder.

0
0
Anonymous