mommy2six
mommy2six asks:
Q:

Help! Is my daughter a slow learner or dyslexic?

Is it possible for my 7 yo to have such a good memory that it hides a learning disability? The teacher goes over all information in class numerous times before they have to do work or tests. My daughter has such a hard time reading, esp. aloud. She hates reading, told the teacher it is too hard to sound out words. She'd rather listen to the stories. She has great comprehension, does well in math (except story problems) and can memorize spelling words. On IOWA test, she did very poorly and it seems that it all comes down to reading. How can you tell if she can't read because of a learning problem or because she refuses to practice? I've read the symptoms for dyslexia, and she definitely has a lot of them, but she does so well in school, it seems crazy to think she has a LD. Since she was little, she has had a great memory for details and I can't find anything that says it's possible for her to be compensating for her lack of reading because she retains everything she hears. Any thoughts? Please answer this and help me if you can!
In Topics: Learning disabilities, Dyslexia

|

DrSheldonHorowitz

It is altogether possible that you daughter has a leaning disability, and it is prcisely because she is "smart" that she is (at least thus far in her school career) able to keep up. But at what expense! If she in fact has a specific learning disability in reading (often called dyslexia) and she is battered with reading demands in school, at home, in recreational settings,.... the emotional energy and the stress will take a huge toll on her self-esteem over time. Do not wait! Request that she receive target reading instruction/remediation using strategies that have proven to be successful for students with LD. And if, over a short period of time, she appears not to be making progress, request (in writing) that she undergo an evaluation to determine her specific areas of instructional need and whether she qualifies for specialized support and accommodations. There is a good reason that she "refuses to practice", and I'm pretty sure youwould agree that it has nothing to do with not wanting to learn!

0
0

MrsKren
MrsKren writes:
You might want to have your child evaluated by a behavioral or developmental optometrist. There is a retrainable condition called Convergency Insufficiency that shows similar symptoms to what you have described.  It is a possibility!

0
0