yorlin
yorlin asks:
Q:

My daughter is six and my son is four. Their language is pure spanish and i need to get them started on english. I have a year, any advice?

we are living in mexico and i have tried speaking to them in english since they were babies but they just weren't interested. now they want to learn but i need help and advice teaching them. I have a year to get them at least basic in the english language. Proficient would be better. I am no teacher but am willing to work hard to achieve it! How do i go about to accomplish this?
In Topics: Learning issues and special needs, Motivation and achievement at school, Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|

Hello and thank you for writing to Justask!

Does your area have an immersion English program? Do you have access to online programs such as Rosetta Stone for English?  

0
0

gnowit
gnowit writes:
Six is a good age for little minds to learn another language. Four is a little tough so allow your daughter to help him in his Spanish. Use all the little words for Spanish like he, his, she. Your English is good so start using Spanish in every way with singing songs and colors around the house, with the pets and playing games and they will be learning in a week.

1
0
jbean83
jbean83 writes:
As a teacher who has ESL students one thing i have noticed is that children pick up languages fast.  They are really receptive to learning new things.  The best advice i can share is put them in a program where English is spoken, like a play group.  Children often learn best when they are playing and interacting with other children.  Also introduce them to an English cartoon......maybe Dora/Diego in English.  Lastly, since you are a wonderful mom and are willing to work so hard for youe children, you can start by teaching them English with nursery rhymes.  Itsy Bitsy spider, Humpty Dumpty, Twinkle Twinkle littler Star.  These are great ways to introduce oral language and also have a lot of books that show pictures where you can name things.  

Hope this helps! Good Luck. :)

2
0
Anonymous