izzymom
izzymom asks:
Q:

My daughter was sent to speech class and when she returned all the pizza was gone for the 2 month point party. Should I say something?

The teacher has daily points given for the first point party
of the year and the kids all work hard for 2 months to enjoy this party. My daughter was sent to speech class and when she got back all the pizza and cupcakes were gone. She asked the teacher "Are you sure all the pizza is gone?" and the teacher said "yes, I am sure" and didn't acknowledge she felt left out. Should I bring it to her attention?
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s)

|
Dian_na

Best Answer!

I would bring her attention to how your daughter felt.  Then to perhaps suggest ordering the pizza earlier or later, perhaps since it is only once every two months ask that your daughter not go to speech on these special days so she can participate in these rewards. You could work with your daughter on these days she missed speech class so she still recieves the exercises, but she will still be rewarded. Right now sending her to speech class instead of pizza she looks at it as a punishment.

1
0

SBlakemore
SBlakemore writes:
Yes. I know how busy it gets in the classroom, but it is really hard on kids to miss out on the fun that ties in as a reward for their hard work.  Your daughter's teacher needs to be aware of that, plan accordingly and perhaps work with the speech teacher on re-scheduling for that particular event, doubling up on a session, or the like if she cannot find another time to have a pizza party when all of her students can celebrate.  I would definitely let the teacher know how hard it was on your daughter, and that she does need to acknowledge, with an apology.  Teach by example when mistakes are made, and this was a mistake.

1
0
DawnCobb-ny
DawnCobb-ny writes:
Yes you should approach the teacher. Let it be known how hard your daughter worked to receive her points and how disappointed she was upon her return to class that the pizza was all gone.  A common courtesy from the teacher would have been to secure a slice for her and share when she returned.  In the future your daughter may not want to go to speech for fear she may miss her future rewards.

1
0