Anonymous
Q:

Should I have my daughter tested for a gifted education program?

My daughters teacher came to me and asked if I ever had her tested for gifted. She is in P4 she just turned five on 8/29. The teacher told me I should think about it.
In Topics: My gifted child

|
mig1997
mig1997 writes:
A few years ago, our daughter was recommended by her kindergarten teacher to be tested, but we didn't follow through because my wife and I thought she was just too young.  Since she was our only child, we didn't really know what to expect from the "normal" school program yet so we thought we should wait until we knew more about, well, everything.

She was recommended again in 3rd grade.  Although she tested and qualified for the gifted program then, the timing of many extracurricular activities conflicted heavily with other things she was already involved in, so we decided to skip it and just complemented her studies at home as we had already been doing.  By looking at the gifted curriculum, we came up with new ideas of "stuff" to do at home, and actually became very successful at getting her interested in science and math by doing these home activities on a regular basis.

Last year (5th grade) she was tested again.  This time the schedule finally worked for her/us and a brief visit to the school's gifted classroom and teacher helped us evaluate the program.  Now, 5 years since her kindergarten teacher first recommended her for testing, she is finally attending the gifted program.

In short: take your time.  Your daughter's intelligence and interest will not fade away if she doesn't join the gifted program right away, provided that a challenging and fun environment for learning is always present at home.

1
0
missdeb1986
missdeb1986 writes:
http://giftedkids.about.com/od/wheretofindhelp/a/state.htm

go here ... find your state, and contact them.

0
0