janemcmahon
janemcmahon asks:
Q:

How can I get my daughter tested for a reading disability?

i have been tring, thru my child's school, to get my daughter tested for a reading disability since kindergarten. she is now in 4th grade and is STUGGLING.  She has missed many days each year due to various childhood illness and the school administration says they cannot make a valid evaluation because of her absentism. Still she is passed from grade to grade. She receives extra help in reading, she attends reading classes, one day aweek and she attends summer school each year. In order for them to test her and find placement for her we have to rule out vision problems haaering ect.  Our school doesn't provide these services so i am responsible to have these done.  We have no insurance and once again we are left with this problem of no testing and placement . Slowly my beautiful 10 year old daughter is becoming introverted, less confident and different because of this.  Please Please help me on the road to getting her tested and the help she needs.
In Topics: Working with my child's teacher(s), Learning disabilities

|

Hi Jane,

I'm not sure exactly what the nature of your daughter's childhood illnesses are, but I think that your next step would be to make a formal, written request for an evaluation to your school principal or special education representative. Outline your areas of concern about your childs suspected disability and request an evaluation.

Depending upon your state, the school district must then respond to your request within a specified period of time. For example, in California, once the school district receives your letter, the assessment process MUST begin (the school district must submit an assessment plan within 15 days to you). You, as the parent, must then respond and approve or disapprove their proposal. The school district must then initiate the evaluation within 60 days.

For more information on this process, please see the following article:
http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Special_Education/

Do others have additional suggestions? Keep us informed, Jane!

0
0