mamajen
mamajen asks:
Q:

How can I help my daughter get back on track and stop failing classes?

Hi my daughter is in the sixth grade.  She is extremely organized with a planner etc.  Up to this point she has always managed to be on the honor roll .  Although tests have always been a challenge for her and she has never passed ISTEP, somehow she has always worked hard and passed.  However , this year she is flunking all her tests is Math, Sociall studies, and Science.  She is very down on herself and it takes her all night sometimes untill 10;30 to get her homework done and study for test.  As much time she puts into studying, I would expect her to get at least an average grade but its an F every time.  I have her enrolle at Sylvan and have invested alot of time and money there but I dont even see that , Sylvan is making a difference.  I am desperate to help her and it brakes my heart to see her struggle and be humiliated.  Please help!
In Topics: Motivation and achievement at school

|

What a difficult situation for you and your daughter. Did your daughter just enter middle school? I ask because the transition into middle school with multiple teachers and changes of classroom can often create new challenges for a student who is already struggling and/or spotlight pre-existing problems. This likely explains your daughter's slumping grades this year.

It is wonderful that you have pursued additional support for her and are seeking answers given that she is struggling and her self-esteem appears to be suffering. If you have not already, I believe you should approach one or more of her teachers in order to get their perspective. What do they believe is the issue? I have a suspicion that your daughter may have an underlying learning difference that she can no longer compensate for. In this case, you will need to pursue an evaluation in order to better understand her strengths and areas of improvement. You can request an evaluation in writing, submitted to your school's special education administrator (the front desk secretary should be able to provide this information). Your daughter's school is legally required to respond in writing with next steps. For more on this, take a look at the following article:

http://www.education.com/reference/article/Ref_Special_Education/

Education.com Team

0
0