madison4502
madison4502 asks:
Q:

My daughter is having trouble passing kindergarten.  How can I help?

My child is 5 and in Kindergarten.  We are over half way through the school year and she has a new teacher.  All of the sudden we are told that she is not on track to pass Kindergarten.  She is having trouble with her sight words and recognizing higher numbers.  Is there any recommendations on what I can do to help her and get her through to the next grade?
In Topics: Kindergarten readiness

|

Hi madison,

That must have been a big shock for you! I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this. I think the most important thing for you to do is to ask for a meeting with her teacher. You should ask to be walked through the VERY specific skills your daughter must be able to do in order to pass. Then I'd ask the teacher for advice on the best and most consistent way for you to work with her at home on those skills. She may have flashcards, games, books, or activities in mind that will help. It may help to do some work at home with your daughter but she's still very young and needs to have enough play and fun time at home too so try not to work TOO much.

I know you really want her to move on, but doing kindergarten over may not be the worst thing. She'll have the chance to get really confident in all these early and important skills. It's much better for her to be held back once than for her to feel frustrated and behind for the rest of her school career.

2
0