karencota
karencota asks:
Q:

how do you make my daughter wake up for school

cause she tells me that she wakes up every time cause she thinks there will be an earthquake or a tunami
In Topics: Sleep and rest, Children and stress

|
sammiesmom
sammiesmom , Child Professional, Caregiver, Parent writes:
well,my daughter is 11 now and is very hard to get up for school.
last year we started a bedtime routine,bath,snack,etc...laying down at 9:30 pm..no exceptions! she gets half an hour of t.v and sometimes she takes 3mg of melatonin to help her get to sleep as recommended by her doctor. she has a few anxiety issues.
i wake her up 1 hour before school and she is responsible for getting herself up dressed,and ready to go! If she is late she knows she will lose an after school activity she likes,say half an hour on the computer or talking on the phone.
once we made her responsible for her ownactions,she became much better at getting up and getting ready to go without a screaming match with me every morning, she doed NOT want to lose her afterschool activities she enjoys....
maybe this will work. I think sticking to the bedtime routine is also inportant in teaching their bodies that its time to slow down and get ready to sleep...hope ot helps..also u could talk to her doctor and see if she is having some sleep or anxiety issues..just to be safe.

0
0
PositivelyMe
PositivelyMe , Teacher, Parent writes:
You are probably a fearful person yourself - she is emulating what she sees, hears, or senses. Use the "worst case scenario" with her. You ask, "What if there is an earthquake? What if there is a tsunami?" What is the worse thing that could happen? You die? If she isn't prepared to die this can cause great anxiety. There is life after death. Teach your kids about it. Also, make sure she is getting to bed early enough. Wear your kids out so they are exhausted enough to sleep. Turn off the TV. Find a playground, park, yard, whatever.

0
0
Anonymous