Jantastic
Jantastic asks:
Q:

My daughter's boyfriend told her he is bisexual.  She doesn't have a problem with it but I think it's not fair to her.  How can I support her?

My daughter has been dating a boy for 4 months now. we are very open and talk about everything. she told me yesterday that her boyfriend told her he was bisexual. I dont know what to do. is this boy just confused on his own sexualality. he is 16 years old, so is my daughter. she doesnt have a problem with it. but i feel its just not fair to her. maybe it is just me. some how i can not seem to understand it all.
In Topics: Teen sexuality and dating

|

This is tough question because what you tell your daughter depends greatly on your morals, values, and religious beliefs.  If you feel like bi-sexuality is okay but you are simply concerned that your daughter is being taken advantage of because her boyfriend wants an "excuse" to experiment with other people, I think you should express your concerns to your daughter.  If you have a history of being honest and open with your daughter then I think she should know what your real concerns are.  This sounds like a great opportunity for you to express to your daughter what a healthy dating relationship looks and feels like.  

1-800-448-3000

1
0

Seann
Seann writes:
Hi Jantastic.  I applaud you for having an open mind about your daughters relationship.  Many parents would have a very negative reaction to hearing from their daughter that her boyfriend is bisexual and this could have a potentially significant impact on the child's willingness to talk about sensitive topics.

I can only speak from a parent's perspective on this one, but I think my primary concern in this case would be the health and mental well-being of my child vs. any sort of judgment as to whether or not it is appropriate or acceptable to date a child of the opposite sex that is bisexual.  Is the relationship monogamous?  If it is, then I would focus on making sure your daughter feels comfortable with herself and that the relationship does not cause her to question herself, cause any anxiety, or result in a lasting social stigma.  If the relationship is not monogamous, I'd be very concerned about the risk of sexually transmitted diseases and the impact it could have on your daughters social and emotional well being, as well as her approach to relationships in the long run.

I suggest having a very frank conversation with you daughter about the importance of monogamous relationships and how best she can protect herself both physically and mentally in the current relationship.  Good luck!!!

1
0
haileycolt
haileycolt writes:
ok so im 16 as well and bisexual so ik about this stuff. i want to make one thing very clear, just because he is bisexual doesn't mean he is going to fool around with other people. strait people are just as likely to cheat on someone as someone who is bisexual is. if he loves your daughter and wants to be with her and is a good kid he wont screw her over, end of story.

0
0