evazquez
evazquez asks:
Q:

How should I deal with my 5 year old's anxiety problem?  

My 5 year old tends to eats a lot.  Is not how much he eats but the many times he goes to the refrigerator to pick on something... anything!  I have heard that braking things might also be another sign of anxiety.  He loves to cut paper, brake crayons, pencils and toys.  This is a constant thing and as parents this is very discouraging since we know there are many children in the world that lack the possibilities of having the toys my son has.  He tends to be very nervous and anxious.  Very disobedient and plainly described as a spoiled child.  Although I realize this is not an excuse, my son used to be constantly sick.  Meaning a monthly thing.  He was born with an immune deficiency and therefore was sick all the time.  Nothing major just colds, flu, crup, pheumonia (twice), mono (twice), bronquitis..... just to name a few.  He has gotten a little better since he turned 5 but with this I feel like we have spoiled him to the point where he is very controlling of us.  I feel like I am in the vertue of loosing my control over him but I know it is not too late.  We are the kind of parents that please our children alot.  We have a daughter as well (3 years old).  We don't have this problem with her and although we don't like to compare... all parents still do it.  I should point out that my husband is also a very nervous and anxious person.  I am afraid or would hate to admit that this is a hereditary issue.  Please help!  Thank you much! Desperate Mom.
In Topics: Anxiety, Discipline and behavior challenges, Communicating with my child (The tough talks)

|

Sorry to hear about you struggle with your son.  I think that to help you and him to figure out how to deal best with his anxiety, you should seek help of a pediatric psychologist and/or psychiatrist.  Your son's regular health care provider will be able to refer you to someone in your area.

0
0

surkaikandace
surkaikandace , Parent writes:
Parenting can be a tough job, thats for sure!  Curious to see how the siblings react while they are together.  Do they fight alot?  Could he be jealous of his sister, thinking you give her more attention?  If you feel like you spoiled him, then you probably have, lol.  You have to use consistency with your discipline.  I would try not to give him too many materalistic things too much.  When he brakes crayons or pencils, be firm with him and let him know that it is not ok....then take them away until next time he can use them what they are attended for. Don't be afraid to take things away, in fear that they will really put up a fight, because they need to understand that you are serious!  Always explain to him why its not ok to do these things, and ask him if he understands.  Tell him to make good choices.  Give him a warning....once.  If he does it again, take it away, and reassure him he can have it at a later time when he learns not to do it again.  Try that.  Reward him when he starts listening....When he makes good choices, treat him to a movie, or out for a favorite activity, or ask what he would like to do.

0
0
Anonymous