ms.trimble
ms.trimble asks:
Q:

how can you deal with being called skinny everyday without trying to stuff yourself???

I'm only like 90 pounds in highschool and need advice on how to deal with people calling you skinny when you cant help it i dont have a big butt or boobs and people expect that becuase im, black so please helpp me
In Topics: Self esteem and identity, Bullying and teasing

|

Hi ms.trimble!

It can hurt when people make comments about our bodies. It is inappropriate and immature to tease someone about their body type. People who are confident in their own skin do not make fun of the way others look. It's possible that some of these kids are actually envious of you because they have to work at being in shape and are not naturally thin!

At any rate, try not to take these comments too personally. If your close friends are the ones who are bothering you, let them know that you would really appreciate it if they would stop making comments about your weight. To the people who you don't know as well, try smiling and say "thank you" when they call you "skinny."  They may come to realize that their comments are not affecting you, and they will eventually stop.

Here at the Boys Town National Hotline, we talk to teens every day who are struggling with some of these same issues. For more great ideas on how to deal with bullies, school, relationships and peer pressure, please go to our website for teens:  www.yourlifeyourvoice.org  From the website you can e-mail a counselor or use our live chat with a counselor if you desire. You can also call us on our 24 hour Hotline.

Take care and keep reaching out. We hope to hear from you in the future!

Best wishes,

Cynthia, Crisis Counselor
1-800-448-3000
yourlifeyourvoice@boystown.org

0
0

Hi ms.trimble,

Don't stress it.  Laughter is sometimes the best way to handle harmless teasing.  Nobody expects you to be a certain way in appearance, you are what you are, but they probably do think that you're really cute and petite.  Laugh it off and say "Be patient-God hasn't finished with me yet".

Best Wishes!

1
0
jmamable
jmamable , Caregiver writes:
Hi ms.trimble,

I'm sure you've heard a million times that high school is really rough when it comes to stuff like this. Just like the answer above mine suggested, confidence is the best bully repellent! Mean kids pick on kids that they don't expect to fight back. If you laugh off the teasing or blow these kids off, they'll more than likely get tired of teasing you pretty fast.

Not only was that a great comeback that karenmom suggested, but it's also totally right -- you're still growing. Every single girl I knew in high school that had body, image, or self-esteem issues has grown up to become BEAUTIFUL -- stunning, gorgeous, way-above-average beautiful. The mean girls are still pretty, but nothing spectacular -- it's the geeky girls from high school that are fending off the boys now! Try to stay confident and sure of yourself, and trust me, your time will come.

0
0
cracked
cracked writes:
well at my school there are lot girls like you and some guys so don't listen to them and keep walking ok and with you get this talk back to me and what are you 8 and you know you can call the poilce

0
0