jeya
jeya asks:
Q:

How to deal with high school pressure?

I am a high school freshman and my parents have very high academic expectations from me. They expect me to get 90s in all of my subjects and it's hard to just crank out 90s. With all of the homework and projects I have to do, it is difficult to find a lot of time to study for tests. My grades are slipping and I am afraid of how my parents are going to react. I know they will be angry and punish me, but that is not helping my grades improve. I feel a lot of pressure from them because I feel like a disappointment to them since I can't get the grades they want from me. I want to improve my grades, but the pressure I feel from them isn't making that any easier. I don't know what i should do.
In Topics: Teen issues

|

Hi Jeya,

It sounds like you are doing your best and there is no reason why you should feel like a disappointment. Adjusting to high school is stressful and when you have constant pressure to do better in fear of being punished, it can be overwhelming.

Is there a way you can possibly change your schedule to help you get a handle on your workload? Make an appointment with your school counselor to go over your schedule and your 4 year plan, and you can make adjustments. Reducing your workload by either taking one less class or having a study hall incorporated in your schedule, will not hurt you. It's more important for you to be able to do your work well and have some time left over for friends and other activities.

Do your parents have any idea of how you feel and how much pressure you are under? Have you tried to talk to them? If you feel they won't listen, then ask your school counselor or school social worker to meet with them. Or, talk to another trusted adult such as a pastor or another family member who could be your advocate and help your parents understand how you feel.

If you would like to speak with one of our counselors, please call or e-mail our Hotline. We also have a website for teens which is listed below. We would love to hear from you again and hear how you are doing!

Take care and best wishes to you!

Cynthia, Counselor
1-800-448-3000
hotline@boystown.org

0
0

rkaiulani
rkaiulani writes:

It seems as if the pressure on high school students to perform academically has been increasing steadily, and you should know that you are not alone in dealing with parent pressure like this. The fact that you are already trying so hard academically tells me that you are a good student -- grades aren't everything! Your parents' are trying to get the best for you, and they probably do not realize that they are causing you so much stress and anxiety. That said, here is a link to some excellent advise from Dr. Laura Kauffman on exactly this topic. I highly recommend that you read it and take the steps suggested. Good luck and remember that your parents are proud of you ... they just need to get better at showing it!

1
0
DonDon
DonDon , Student writes:
Jeya, i know how you feel..... my parents expect high marks ALL the time, and i'm finding it really hard atm. because.... my hearts broken and i cannit concentrate on my school work and i'm scared too :'(
i wanna go back to elementary school, where none of this mattered:/.

do what i'm 'trying' to do, drop hints :')? i write down how i'm feeling on pieces of paper, and try and leave them around 'accidentily' as i have a 'penpal' from finland and i tell him all my troubles, i just make two copies see:'D! so, i leace one around 'waiting' to send it. and i send the real letter...:')...
if you need to:'), go see someone at school and talk to them and ask if they'll tell your parents.

that you feel pressured and your grades are slitting cause of you being scared that if it's not good or right, you'd get shouted at :'D!

or, write it in a song and tell them :L!

laaaaaav dondon <3!! -xxxxx'

1
0