anxietyridden
anxietyridden asks:
Q:

How do I deal with school administration on picking my kids up inside the school?

I have severe anxiety revolving around the safety of my children.  I have 3; ages 6 to 11.  I pick them up inside the school as they would have to come out three different doors and walk all around the school in different directions.  I have been able to convince the principal that I need to pick them up inside, but she checks in with me here and there to see if I have changed my mind or am I ready to have the come out their "own doors", which I am not.  Does anybody have advice on how to handle the school, as I know it is my right to go inside.
In Topics: Working with school administrators, My Relationship with my child's school, Parenting / Our Family

|
Hi, I'm glad to hear the principal continues to meet your need to pick up the children inside the school. I don't think it's unreasonable, though, for her to check in occasionally to see if your situation has changed, including to see if you are feeling more comfortable with the safety of the school community she oversees. If your situation hasn't changed, kindly let her know that, and continue on as you are. If she seeks to revoke your ability to pick up your children inside the school, you could contact the district or school board, as well as the PTA.

Here is a resource on Education.com that can also offer some support in building positive relationships with school administrators and teachers: http://www.education.com/topic/parent-teacher-relationship/

You might also consider talking to a parent coach or family counselor about the level of anxiety you mentioned you experience. It's natural for a parent to be concerned about the safety of his/her children, but if your anxiety is too extreme or causing problems for you, please do seek help from a health or parenting professional.

You could also review factual information about safety issues. Here is a safety information center on Education.com as a starting point: http://www.education.com/topic/child-safety/

I hope these resources are helpful to you.

1
0
darinh96
darinh96 writes:
I also agree that it is good that the administrator is checking on you from time to time. This serves as a duel purpose. One is that the principal is making sure all your needs are being taken care of. As mentioned in the previous posting, if there are any changes that need to be made or you would like to change the pick-up procedure for your children, then this would be the time to mention. Secondly, administrators are ultimately in charge of the safety of all students. I like to see principals that make contact with parents or any other visitor to a particular school. Its very important that principals make contact with parents to see how things are going. At this time, I think it is very appropriate and it also seems that the administrator is trying to maintain a regular line of communication with you. The only thing that I am against is if there is a future problem with picking your child up. Before going to the school board or to a parent organization, I would suggest you try to work out the problem first with the administrator. If that does not work, see if there is a district mediator or school officer that is in charge of school-level principals. This could be an assistant superintendent or the district superintendent. Also, just going to your child's school counselor to discuss your problems could help negotiate a solution between you and your child's administrator.

2
0
dreflee
dreflee writes:
u need some body to help u with that becouse it is vary good to get some one to help u with picking up ur kids thatzz  wat my mom use to say be now my dad pick me up every day of the week

0
0
djorlo
djorlo writes:
Don't worry about it.  Do what you need to do for your children and their safety.

0
0
cecedolphin
cecedolphin writes:
It is your right! If you have any kind of proof that your children are in danger, bring that to the principal's attention.  If you don't have it then it's still o.k. They can't prevent you from doing so.  If they do write a letter to your local newspaper.  That always gets their attention.  Good Luck!

0
0
ahizer
ahizer writes:
It is nice that the principal is so involved.  Would your kids be supervised by teachers if you allowed them to walk around the building to meet you? If yes, and the answer should be yes, then it is time for you to take meds for your anxiety.  School officials are not going to just send kids out the door without placing them in the care of their parents supervised. However, if they are not supervised and in a dangerous situation you need to go straight to the Director of Schools at the central office and get help for all the other kids at your school.

0
0
Anonymous