katuchi asks:

How to deal with depression? How to over look things that bothers you?

i m a mbbs student but have experienced many episodes of depression. i hav becom over sensitive ,every small thing or talk among friends bothers me very much and hurts me.
how to overcome it and overlook things . how to make myself inert to all [stuff] goin aroud me so dat i can only concentrate in my studies?
In Topics: School and Academics, Depression
> 60 days ago



Feb 1, 2010
Subscribe to Expert

What the Expert Says:

I am so glad that you posted your question and are reaching out for help. It sounds like you have been struggling for quite some time and my heart goes out to you. Although things are very difficult right now, I can assure you that things can improve with time and the right treatment.

Are you currently in treatment for depression? are you taking any medication or are you talking to a therapist? If so, I recommend that you to continue with treatment and speak with your proscribing doctor or clinician about your feelings. If you are not currently in treatment, I strongly encourage you seek out support immediately. Your university should have mental health services that are available to students free or at low cost. If your university does not have services, do a search in your community for local clinics or agencies that provide mental health services.

There are books available, such as "Overcoming Depression One Step at a Time" that may you, as well. This book, and others like it, would be a nice adjunct to your treatment.

Finally, if you ever feel like you cannot go on or want to hurt yourself, call your local police immediately. They can send someone to help and support you through the crisis.

Go with your gut and seek out continued support to help you feel better. Not only will your mood improve, but your studies will also most likely do better, as well. Best of luck to you. Take care.


Laura Kauffman, Ph.D.
Licensed Psychologist
JustAsk Expert

Did you find this answer useful?

Additional Answers (2)

dgraab , Parent writes:
Hello Katuchi, I'm sorry to hear that you're feeling depressed. Thank you for turning to JustAsk for help!

Please talk to a health care professional or school counselor immediately about your feelings. Depression is a serious medical condition, and I urge you to seek help from a doctor who can diagnose and treat you in person. Your college may also offer low-cost or free counseling services if you don't otherwise have access to medical services.

It is common to experience depression in college, and very important that you not ignore the symptoms or delay treatment. Please seek help from a doctor in person today.  

I'll be thinking of you, and hope you get the help you need to feel better.

Did you find this answer useful?
VHrules writes:
PLEASE, PLEASE, go see a doctor. It might be best to go right to a psychiatrist vs. family doctor.
I am speaking from experience. When I read your question, it felt like I was asking it. It was hard for me to admit I might need to get help for my depression, but you have to take that step. Once I got on meds, I have been a totally different person, - I must have been chronically depressed for years. Please don't be scared or ashamed to take that first step. I also found it a waste of time to start at the regular family doctor level. They do not know how to properly monitor your meds. I have been suffering from depression for at least 10 years now, but the meds sure do help. I do not like that I have to be dependent on meds, but, since I want to be well, that is how I can be well. Occassionally, I do have a depression bouts every once in a while, but they are not anything like they were before I got help. Please seriously consider this.... I wish you the very best.
> 60 days ago

Did you find this answer useful?
Answer this question


You are about to choose ${username}'s answer as the best answer.

Cancel | Continue

*You can change the best answer in the future if you think that you received a better answer

How likely are you to recommend Education.com to your friends and colleagues?

Not at all likely
Extremely likely