momneedsasst
momneedsasst asks:
Q:

Defiant 3 yr old in preschool

I am at my wits end...I have a 3 yr old that is very defiant but mostly at school...she hits (teacher and Students), she throws chairs, shoes and/or toys, she screams, she snatches toys, she refuses to follow directions and is always telling the teacher no/ she does not want to....I have tryed everything...time-out, changing schools, punishing, taking toys/ tv time, talking I've even been to two behaviour therapist and I'm wanting on the school to get a specialist involved. I treat for the occasional good behavior.  I know most of you are going to think this is behavior she sees at home but I promise it is not...at first I couldn't believe the behavior until I observed it myself...She knows what is not excepted and she continues to display this behavior....is there anything else I can do (I've even purchased books and read to her about behavior and feelings). Once I had to take her out of school and discipline(spank) :( She was good for 3 days...I'm not proud of that moment and really don't want to resolute to that but I'm at my wits end...Please help

|

Do you observe these behaviors at home too?  If not, I wonder why does your daughter would act up only at school.  And it sounds that she behaved like that in more than one school setting.  Could there be something that she is afraid of while being away from home?  Does she feel overstimulated by a strange (meaning "not home") environment? Has she reached all developmental milestones appropriate for her age?

I think that you should have a discussion about your daughter's behaviors with a pediatric therapist.  Your daughter's regular health care provider will be able to refer you to one in your community.

2
0

momneedsasst
momneedsasst writes:
Do you observe these behaviors at home too?

1
0
momneedsasst
momneedsasst writes:
Do you observe these behaviors at home too?  If not, I wonder why does your daughter would act up only at school.  And it sounds that she behaved like that in more than one school setting.  Could there be something that she is afraid of while being away from home?  Does she feel overstimulated by a strange (meaning "not home") environment? Has she reached all developmental milestones appropriate for her age?I think that you should have a discussion about your daughter's behaviors with a pediatric therapist.  Your daughter's regular health care provider will be able to refer you to one in your community.
RESPONSE: Thanks for your response and input...I will get with her pediatrician this week. My daughter does not display this behavior at home...I get some defiance as to what she does and doesn't want to do, she doesn't always follow directions but there us no hitting, snatching or throwing objects at home or at her grandparents house. Yes she behaved like this at another school but I was told by other teachers she was being mistreated.

0
0
lynellen
lynellen writes:
There is a good book to read about children who over respond to their environment by being aggressive.  Its called "sensational kids" by Lucy Jane Miller, O.T.R. These children may perceive their environment as scary because their nervous systems over respond to visual, hearing, touch, etc.  You may want to journal when these behaviors happen: Does it follow motor class with too many kids, too much noise, and too much activity that she can't control?  An occupational therapist in your area could also help if there is a sensory component.

0
0