carolproulx
carolproulx asks:
Q:

Depressed daughter cutting herself

my daughter has been cutting herself, to release pain, her boy friend dosent work and has mental issues, mentally sucking my daughter dry, causing her low self esteem, depression, and feeling there is no way out of this relationship, so she thinks in the back of her mind hoping things will chainge, well there not and havent in over 4 years. she dosent want to take medication, and i think shes scared to see a doctor. i told her i would go with her. Im worried for her. And her boy friend needs to be put on medication for bibola, depression, anxiety. he has no money but i found a free clinic. Im hoping they will go. I no when shes happy for a minute she dosent want to talk about anything, so this is a very hard and difficult problem, do you have any Ideas which could help us. 2 yrs ago also she hjad restraining orders put on him and he kept hurassing her and went to jail, she would have needed to go to court to keep him there. and she didnt so when he got out he would stock her cut her brake lines on her car, follow her every where, I told him i was calling the police he said go ahead I dont care. so once again my daughter ended felling bad for him and took him back, this repeadely kept happening. so shes afraid to go to police again. she has to have feelings for him to do such. I wish things could chainge too but when they dont get the help they both need nothings going to happen. She works very hard and has been supporting him for over 4 yrs. She lost self esteem.

In Topics: Cutting

|

As a parent it can be difficult to see your child making choices that you see are harmful.  You sound like you are trying to be as supportive and helpful as you possibly can.  Not sure how old your daughter is?  If your daughter is an adult, you may not have much control over the situation.  As a result, you may have to find ways for yourself to cope with her situation, and decide when you need to intervene and when to let her make her own mistakes.
It really sounds like your daughter will have to be the one to decide when things are painful or difficult enough that she needs make changes in her life. She might benefit from contacting a Hotline via phone or using an online chat to work through things.
1
0

ghammett
ghammett , Student writes:
i would tell her that cutting herself will leave scars that will never heal and she should not ruin her skin. my daughter went though the same thing and i told her the same thing i just told you.....trust me she will stop.

0
1